Good Rad-Onc Intro Book for Med Students???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quidbert

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Either the Hafty or Roach handbooks of radonc would be best:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...diation+oncology&x=0&y=0&sprefix=handbook+rad

Most use residents seem to use Roach..but I think the Hafty is better suited for med students b/c it provides slightly more detail. Roach is First-Aid-ish in that it is kind of written for people who already have a bit of a background in the field. Hafty has a little more detail, but is longer. Good luck with the rotation.

Hi,

I'm thinking about rad-onc and will be doing a rotation this summer.

I remember reading on this forum about a great intro book to Rad Onc for medical students. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm not looking for an exhaustive text, just something that gives me a fundamental base and will allow me to have conversations with Rad-Onc'ers.

If you know price ballpark, that's helpful too.

Thank you!

http://www.cancernetwork.com/cancer-management

I found this to be a great intro to rad onc, and oncology in general. At a med student level, it's important to get the big picture since at the heart of it, we're oncologists and oncology is multidisciplinary specialty.

For example, it'd be good at the end of your rotation to know that limited-stage small cell lung cancer is managed primarily with chemotherapy and radiation, while breast cancer can involve surgery, radiation and chemo. The Roach and Hafty books are great, but I think they are geared more toward a resident-level book.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like Harrison's Manual of Oncology. It costs $70-80, but I would only recommend that you buy it if you are confident that you will be an oncologist (medical, radiation, surgical). Otherwise, try to get the book from your library.

http://www.cancernetwork.com/cancer-management

I found this to be a great intro to rad onc, and oncology in general. At a med student level, it's important to get the big picture since at the heart of it, we're oncologists and oncology is multidisciplinary specialty.

For example, it'd be good at the end of your rotation to know that limited-stage small cell lung cancer is managed primarily with chemotherapy and radiation, while breast cancer can involve surgery, radiation and chemo. The Roach and Hafty books are great, but I think they are geared more toward a resident-level book.

I agree with medgator that medical students (and junior residents) should read about "oncology" rather than "radiation oncology." I found Cancer Management to be very helpful --- and it's free!--- and it's good to know they came out with a new edition. Thanks.

I agree with medgator that medical students (and junior residents) should read about "oncology" rather than "radiation oncology." I found Cancer Management to be very helpful --- and it's free!--- and it's good to know they came out with a new edition. Thanks.

is it still free? They used to have PDFs of all of the chapters, but I haven't been able to find them anymore.

I have found that this has helped a bit with my interactions with rad oncs. I am still a medical student and didn't find it too over-the-top. I also haven't had time to read it all but it gives a pretty good intro./base for the physics behind radiation.
I'm sure others had heard of or read this book. What do you guys think????

Introduction to Clinical Radiation Oncology by Lawrence R. Coia and David J. Moylan