Good resource for reading about congenital heart dz?

Started by CBG23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CBG23

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently on my peds rotation and was wondering what a good resource was to read about congenital heart disease; I have a copy of blueprints, but apparently a lot a people say it's not a good resource. Any suggestions for a good resource for this topic?

Also, I keep hearing people mention CLIPP cases; what exactly are these and where/ how do I obtain them?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!🙂
 
for a brief but good overview, there is a chapter in the pathophysiology of heart disease by lilly book. probably not as in depth as you're looking for but does a great job with explaining the basic physiology.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(I guess CLIPP cases come from here: http://www.med-u.org/virtual_patient_cases/clipp. Don't know that much about them, but the residents where I did my fellowship used them)

What's your overall goal here? Enough to do well on shelf; that + impress cardiology fellows/staff; really like the subject and want to get further into the weeds than typical? I ask because each takes a different amount of time and interest.

For option 1, I'd say to see if you find the chapters in Baby Nelson/Oski better than Blueprints.

For option 2: this is a good medical-student geared book-http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Pediatric-Cardiology-David-Driscoll/dp/0781785006/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356844489&sr=1-1&keywords=driscoll+pediatric+cardiology. The entire cardiovascular chapter in Nelsons is a little over 100 pages and is probably pretty readable for the motivated (breaking up into blocks). Supplementing the baby books with as needed reading that's more in depth (Nelson, articles) would also be good.

For 3: supplement the bigger stuff in 2 with relevent recent articles/reviews.
 
for a brief but good overview, there is a chapter in the pathophysiology of heart disease by lilly book. probably not as in depth as you're looking for but does a great job with explaining the basic physiology.

I liked the Lilly book. Quick and easy.

(I guess CLIPP cases come from here: http://www.med-u.org/virtual_patient_cases/clipp. Don't know that much about them, but the residents where I did my fellowship used them)

What's your overall goal here? Enough to do well on shelf; that + impress cardiology fellows/staff; really like the subject and want to get further into the weeds than typical? I ask because each takes a different amount of time and interest.

For option 1, I'd say to see if you find the chapters in Baby Nelson/Oski better than Blueprints.

For option 2: this is a good medical-student geared book-http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Pediatric-Cardiology-David-Driscoll/dp/0781785006/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356844489&sr=1-1&keywords=driscoll+pediatric+cardiology. The entire cardiovascular chapter in Nelsons is a little over 100 pages and is probably pretty readable for the motivated (breaking up into blocks). Supplementing the baby books with as needed reading that's more in depth (Nelson, articles) would also be good.

For 3: supplement the bigger stuff in 2 with relevent recent articles/reviews.

I may pick up the Driscoll book, but I have a fairly long wishlist for books.

For 3:
Kaiser, Kron, Spray. Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Section III: Congenital Cardiac Surgery.
Jonas. Comprehensive Surgical Management of Congenital Heart Disease.

The anatomy is confusing, and the operations are even more confusing. Take for instance Transposition of the Great Arteries. Should it be an Arterial Switch, Nikaidoh, Rastelli, or a Double Switch? What happened to the Mustard or Senning operation? Prepare for an existential crisis.
 
I liked the Lilly book. Quick and easy.



I may pick up the Driscoll book, but I have a fairly long wishlist for books.

For 3:
Kaiser, Kron, Spray. Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Section III: Congenital Cardiac Surgery.
Jonas. Comprehensive Surgical Management of Congenital Heart Disease.

The anatomy is confusing, and the operations are even more confusing. Take for instance Transposition of the Great Arteries. Should it be an Arterial Switch, Nikaidoh, Rastelli, or a Double Switch? What happened to the Mustard or Senning operation? Prepare for an existential crisis.

For a resident, the Driscoll book is too light IMO. Get a copy of Park and/or Nadas (my general opinion is that all general pediatricians and family medicine docs should own a copy, though they should know there are some things out of date [i.e. SBE recs]). I should have mentioned that Park does a particularly good job of simplifying some of the more complex topics, but, as a whole book, would probably be too much for an MS. That said, the ECG chapter and CXR chapter are very worthwhile reads for a student.


O/T: The history of the arterial switch is intersting when you think about it. People had an effective operation to palliate this leasion with reasonable short and long term outcomes (plenty of adult repaired TGA patients in their 20s and up with a Mustard or Senning). Other surgeons couldn't figure out the key portion of the procedure (the coronary translocation), but Jatene went ahead and tried it anyway. Gutsy.

And double switches aren't used for the type of TGA you're thinking of 😉
 
For a resident, the Driscoll book is too light IMO. Get a copy of Park and/or Nadas (my general opinion is that all general pediatricians and family medicine docs should own a copy, though they should know there are some things out of date [i.e. SBE recs]). I should have mentioned that Park does a particularly good job of simplifying some of the more complex topics, but, as a whole book, would probably be too much for an MS. That said, the ECG chapter and CXR chapter are very worthwhile reads for a student.


O/T: The history of the arterial switch is intersting when you think about it. People had an effective operation to palliate this leasion with reasonable short and long term outcomes (plenty of adult repaired TGA patients in their 20s and up with a Mustard or Senning). Other surgeons couldn't figure out the key portion of the procedure (the coronary translocation), but Jatene went ahead and tried it anyway. Gutsy.

And double switches aren't used for the type of TGA you're thinking of 😉

Notice that I didn't specify L-TGA vs. D-TGA.

That is part of the confusing aspect of congenital heart. Things are classified with the same or similar names, but very different operations are performed, e.g. DORV: subaortic v. subpulmonic v. doubly committed v. remote VSD. Each gets a different operation, but they're all still called "DORV."

I wouldn't recommend reading Jonas without reading Jonas.
 
That is part of the confusing aspect of congenital heart. Things are classified with the same or similar names, but very different operations are performed, e.g. DORV: subaortic v. subpulmonic v. doubly committed v. remote VSD. Each gets a different operation, but they're all still called "DORV."

I wouldn't recommend reading Jonas without reading Jonas.

Absolutely agree. The nomenclature of my field is extraordinarily frustrating. To many names for the same damn thing and a list of acronyms that would make the military proud. Often those names don't really convey anything meaningful e.g. complete, partial, transitional atrioventricular canal/atrioventricular septal defect/endocardial cushions defect. Ack, who frackin' cares; what is the anatomy? Does everything need an eponym? Glenn or bidirectional cavopulmonary anastamosis? Tetralogy of Fallot-pulmonary atresia or pulmonary atresia with VSD? :barf::barf:

Was the last line a typo? I am curious what you mean here. Though I'll add (or agree) that Jonas isn't really a great book for a medical student or resident. A really motivated resident might get something out of the Nichols Critical Heart Disease book.
 
Absolutely agree. The nomenclature of my field is extraordinarily frustrating. To many names for the same damn thing and a list of acronyms that would make the military proud. Often those names don't really convey anything meaningful e.g. complete, partial, transitional atrioventricular canal/atrioventricular septal defect/endocardial cushions defect. Ack, who frackin' cares; what is the anatomy? Does everything need an eponym? Glenn or bidirectional cavopulmonary anastamosis? Tetralogy of Fallot-pulmonary atresia or pulmonary atresia with VSD? :barf::barf:

Was the last line a typo? I am curious what you mean here. Though I'll add (or agree) that Jonas isn't really a great book for a medical student or resident. A really motivated resident might get something out of the Nichols Critical Heart Disease book.

Agree with being annoyed about naming. Sometimes names and classification are very helpful: Sievers' classification for bicuspid aortic valve; Fazel clusters for bicuspid aortopathy. However, that's not always happening.

Jonas probably is not the best book for the casual reader, because it's very in depth and waxes on about surgical technique and anatomic variations. However, for the motivated individual, it is a humbling experience that is a very well thought out read that discusses indications, timing, size of the suture, etc. My meaning was that it's a very difficult book, so had I not been in the process of reading it, then it would be an odd book to recommend.

I'll add Nichols to the stack I still have to buy/read. My progress through some of the books I already own has stalled, though. Looking forward to crushing some reading and research during my next vacation.