Good review/study for first CCU rotation

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by NotAClue, Jun 5, 2008.

1. NotAClue

Medical Student
    Hi,

My first intern rotation is going to be in the CCU! I'm excited. I was wondering what would be a good book to freshen up on. Are there worthwhile chapters in The ICU Book to read over?

Thanks

2. grendelsdragon

grendelsdragon Synesthetic
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're going to be pretty busy when your residency begins. I'd recommend spending the next few weeks enjoying yourself. Make a "bucket list" (kinda like in the movie... think of everything you wanted to do before kicking the bucket), and see how much you can take care of. Or, you can also choose to simply relax and do nothing.

If you are really concerned, I would concentrate on learning ACLS like the back of your hand.

Good luck!

3. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree would review ACLS.
    the Cleveland Clinic Manual of Cardiology is a nice book to have around...it's paperback and you can usually buy a good used copy on the internet for a reasonable price.

You may want to review Swan Ganz catheter/pulmonary artery catheter, how it is used, what the numbers mean, etc.

Don't worry you will have a resident with you! Expect to spend lots of time writing notes, etc. for your patients. You shouldn't be expected to know what to do all the time with these patients...that is what the resident, fellow and attending are for.