'GOOD' states to practice Ob/Gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was discussing the malpractice issue with some chiefs during one of my interviews and it was mentioned that there are five or so 'good' states right now in which we can practice. By good i mean i was told there are caps on claims and no tail insurance. Now, I can only remember California and Indiana being mentioned. Does anyone out there know of some of the other states? Thanks a bunch! Good luck to all of us preparing to match soon! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Add Louisiana to that list

deeq said:
I was discussing the malpractice issue with some chiefs during one of my interviews and it was mentioned that there are five or so 'good' states right now in which we can practice. By good i mean i was told there are caps on claims and no tail insurance. Now, I can only remember California and Indiana being mentioned. Does anyone out there know of some of the other states? Thanks a bunch! Good luck to all of us preparing to match soon! :)
Wisconsin amd Minnesota have low malpractice premiums.Its not just a question of liability caps and tort reform as some states especially in the mid west do not have as litiginous an atmosphere as other statess..Lawsuits against physicians are less common and judgements/settlements are more reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana's a good place to practice pretty much any medical profession. I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running in a few years.

aphistis said:
Indiana's a good place to practice pretty much any medical profession. I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running in a few years.

Tennessee is not bad either. OB's pay 30-60k in insurance, but average around 300k take home.

deeq said:

Im 100% that as of 6-7 years ago, California HAD tail MM insur. for OBs. I knew a guy struggling with how to pay the absurd 250K for it. I would check that to make sure. He was from NYC, maybe that had something to do with it.

LADoc00 said:
Im 100% that as of 6-7 years ago, California HAD tail MM insur. for OBs. I knew a guy struggling with how to pay the absurd 250K for it. I would check that to make sure. He was from NYC, maybe that had something to do with it.
Well, I'm not entirely sure of the validity of this chief's statement. However, this chief told me she already had signed on with a group in California because they have no caps/tails. But again, I didn't see her contract.

What about New England states? Anybody know about those? North Carolina? I'm assuming that's probably a bad one right now. Just curious. I'm sure many states will be changing one way or another in the next four years that I'll be spending in residency.

deeq said:
Well, I'm not entirely sure of the validity of this chief's statement. However, this chief told me she already had signed on with a group in California because they have no caps/tails. But again, I didn't see her contract.

What about New England states? Anybody know about those? North Carolina? I'm assuming that's probably a bad one right now. Just curious. I'm sure many states will be changing one way or another in the next four years that I'll be spending in residency.

In CT an ob/gyn I met said they were paying $240,000 for malpractice for a rural 2 person practice.
An FP doc I met paid $30k or so for her tail after delivering for a few years.

In Maine it can be much less, like sub $50k rates.

ny skindoc said:
Wisconsin amd Minnesota have low malpractice premiums.Its not just a question of liability caps and tort reform as some states especially in the mid west do not have as litiginous an atmosphere as other statess..Lawsuits against physicians are less common and judgements/settlements are more reasonable.

Except Illinois which is really really really bad. Has the worst county in the entire US (Madison County) which is just a small northeastern STL suburb. Docs (ob and neurosurgeons) are leaving in droves.