deeq

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2004
72
0
Status
I was discussing the malpractice issue with some chiefs during one of my interviews and it was mentioned that there are five or so 'good' states right now in which we can practice. By good i mean i was told there are caps on claims and no tail insurance. Now, I can only remember California and Indiana being mentioned. Does anyone out there know of some of the other states? Thanks a bunch! Good luck to all of us preparing to match soon! :)
 

ny skindoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
639
11
Visit site
Status
deeq said:
I was discussing the malpractice issue with some chiefs during one of my interviews and it was mentioned that there are five or so 'good' states right now in which we can practice. By good i mean i was told there are caps on claims and no tail insurance. Now, I can only remember California and Indiana being mentioned. Does anyone out there know of some of the other states? Thanks a bunch! Good luck to all of us preparing to match soon! :)
Wisconsin amd Minnesota have low malpractice premiums.Its not just a question of liability caps and tort reform as some states especially in the mid west do not have as litiginous an atmosphere as other statess..Lawsuits against physicians are less common and judgements/settlements are more reasonable.
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Indiana's a good place to practice pretty much any medical profession. I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running in a few years.
 

dudeob

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2004
23
0
Status
aphistis said:
Indiana's a good place to practice pretty much any medical profession. I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running in a few years.
Tennessee is not bad either. OB's pay 30-60k in insurance, but average around 300k take home.
 

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
6,545
597
Status
Attending Physician
deeq said:
I was discussing the malpractice issue with some chiefs during one of my interviews and it was mentioned that there are five or so 'good' states right now in which we can practice. By good i mean i was told there are caps on claims and no tail insurance. Now, I can only remember California and Indiana being mentioned. Does anyone out there know of some of the other states? Thanks a bunch! Good luck to all of us preparing to match soon! :)
Im 100% that as of 6-7 years ago, California HAD tail MM insur. for OBs. I knew a guy struggling with how to pay the absurd 250K for it. I would check that to make sure. He was from NYC, maybe that had something to do with it.
 
OP
deeq

deeq

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2004
72
0
Status
LADoc00 said:
Im 100% that as of 6-7 years ago, California HAD tail MM insur. for OBs. I knew a guy struggling with how to pay the absurd 250K for it. I would check that to make sure. He was from NYC, maybe that had something to do with it.
Well, I'm not entirely sure of the validity of this chief's statement. However, this chief told me she already had signed on with a group in California because they have no caps/tails. But again, I didn't see her contract.

What about New England states? Anybody know about those? North Carolina? I'm assuming that's probably a bad one right now. Just curious. I'm sure many states will be changing one way or another in the next four years that I'll be spending in residency.
 

cyanocobalamin

M4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
206
0
somewhere between Jackman and Spartanburg
Status
Medical Student
deeq said:
Well, I'm not entirely sure of the validity of this chief's statement. However, this chief told me she already had signed on with a group in California because they have no caps/tails. But again, I didn't see her contract.

What about New England states? Anybody know about those? North Carolina? I'm assuming that's probably a bad one right now. Just curious. I'm sure many states will be changing one way or another in the next four years that I'll be spending in residency.

In CT an ob/gyn I met said they were paying $240,000 for malpractice for a rural 2 person practice.
An FP doc I met paid $30k or so for her tail after delivering for a few years.

In Maine it can be much less, like sub $50k rates.
 

Anxiolytic

Cake rocks - band & food
10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
6
0
Illinois
Status
ny skindoc said:
Wisconsin amd Minnesota have low malpractice premiums.Its not just a question of liability caps and tort reform as some states especially in the mid west do not have as litiginous an atmosphere as other statess..Lawsuits against physicians are less common and judgements/settlements are more reasonable.

Except Illinois which is really really really bad. Has the worst county in the entire US (Madison County) which is just a small northeastern STL suburb. Docs (ob and neurosurgeons) are leaving in droves.