Good Step 1 score for Ob/Gyn residency

Started by Tex706
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tex706

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a MS2 and am starting to prepare for Step 1 this June. I'm pretty sure I'll be going into Ob/Gyn and am curious what a 'safe' Step 1 score is to get into programs, preferably in TX since that's where I'm a resident and am in med school.

I've heard a big range of scores, probably because Ob/Gyn is becoming increasingly competitive.
 
I'm a MS2 and am starting to prepare for Step 1 this June. I'm pretty sure I'll be going into Ob/Gyn and am curious what a 'safe' Step 1 score is to get into programs, preferably in TX since that's where I'm a resident and am in med school.

I've heard a big range of scores, probably because Ob/Gyn is becoming increasingly competitive.

Really? As high as you can get, of course. A 240 is a good high goal I suppose. This is entirely dependent on where you want to go. Do you want to be at Parkland? Or is truly anywhere in TX acceptable to you?

Check out www.apgo.org. They have program listings, and some list the score minima for specific schools, and often also list the median score of the current residents.
 
Last edited:
In case you haven't seen the following yet:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

OBGYN starts on page 152. Doesn't have specific programs though.

step 1 avg = 220

however, even below that the match rate is still really good. Just do your absolute best because you may change your mind.

Regardless, from discussions I've had with obgyn residents at my institution you'll still have to apply pretty broadly and go on probably 9-12 interviews (mean number of ranks in that report is 11).