Good Therapeutics Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school 20 years, ie outdated knowledge. I also recently changed jobs, which is also highlighting my outdated knowledge. CE tends to be one-sided and usually doesn't give a comprehensive picture. I'd like to get a current up-to-date therapetics book to brush up my knowledge.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

DiPiro's is a great choice for background information. The book discusses the major disease states by organ system. Each chapter includes epidemiology, etiology, risk factors, clinical presentation, diagnostic criteria, most recent guidelines (at point of publication), nonpharmacological interventions, and obviously pharmacological agents.

The book runs about $160, and is updated every 4-5 years.
Available at: http://amazon.com/gp/product/007141...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't want or need the massive in depth-ness of Dipiro, get the Dipiro handbook. About 40 bucks. Great choice, and very readable. You could probably read the whole thing cover to cover in a week or two.

Thanks for the advice! I'd used Koda-Kimble in college and found that a good text. I'd heard of Goodman/Gilmore, but not Dipiro. Dipiro sounds like it would be great. It's a year newer than Koda-Kimble, so I think they I might go with Dipiro for that reason. I see Dipiro is coming out with a new edition in April--I'm half-tempted to wait and get the newest....but that is 6 months away. The current Dipiro is 2004, which may not be the most current, but I think it will serve my needs of getting up to date on the newest knowledge.

My school uses Dipiro, but most of my professors tell me the Koda-Kimble book is better. I've read them both....don't really have a preference...it's boring either way.

di piro handbook.

i used it all the time...the big book is too detailed and too cumbersome. but, i know one of the authors of a chapter in the new [red] edition

Dipiro = Bible in pharmacy school.

DiPiro...

One of my old professors is one of the editors. :D

It's a pretty good book too (though I must admit I only read a few chapters in their entirety, and my edition is a little dated by now), good as a reference (which is the way I mostly used it, both in school and afterwards). I recommended it to a few people who aren't pharmacists but who needed an understanding of a therapeutic area to do their job - and they liked it too.

I just want to say thanks for the recommendation for the "mini" Dipiro. I went with that and it was exactly what I was looking for and needed. I feel much more up to date on stuff.

I also want to add that there is a new book out there, called "Pharmacotherapy, Principles and Practice." See: http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071448802

It is not "mini-Dipiro," but students have been calling it "the new Dipiro." The authors are almost the same as in Dipiro, but the filler has been cut out.

I got " The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics" by Goodman and Gilman. Good book for reference.

DiPiro

Mods, please lock this thread.

Thanks!

Yep...DiPiro and Koda-Kimble are both great. Koda-Kimble is more case-based, so it'll go into patient scenarios a little more...but they're both excellent choices. :thumbup: I have both and I'm sure I'll always keep the newest versions in my library.

http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Thera...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195254898&sr=1-1

I like case-based learning a lot more, so I am partial to Koda-Kimble, but I have both too.

Dipiro's just a monster of a book, so the handbook is a little better for quick references. If you want to intensly learn a topic, then spending the day reading that chapter in the comprehensive Dipiro text may be more for you. :thumbup: