Good time to study boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnguyen1412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow SDNers,

I'm going to start medical school next year, and this question have been on my mind.

When do you guys start preparing for boards? I heard some said we should start practicing questions as early as possible during our second semester of first year when the first system course is introduced.

In addition, what resources you guy recommend? I do plan to take both USMLE Step 1 with COMLEX.

Thank you for precious advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
I just took my exam on 26 th of sept and it was a complete mess. Am so discouraged and disappointed. It was so different from nbme, uworld. Questions were really weird and vvv long stems . I already can recall 30 wrong questions and am sure will be a lot more than tht. Plz say something encouaging. Will I pass this exam?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it until you start med school. One of the biggest correlations with board scores are how well you do in class. Your courses are pretty much teaching you everything that might be covered on boards. So don't worry. You'll be studying for boards for 2 whole years. Just do well in your classes. There is no need to worry about it before you even start med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people start the UWorld question bank around their 2nd year, and take Step 1 at end of 2nd year. Most of STep 1 is pathology, pharm, microbiology. Focus on everything but give particular emphasis to those. Do well in your classes first year but make sure you devote full attention to it during 2nd year