Good Transitional Year Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misfit

Blinded Me With Science
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all:

I usually read these forums and rarely post here. I have not recently seen any information about good transitional year programs.

I am currently at the beginning of my 4th year in med school and my plan (God willing) is to enter Anesthesiology. With that in mind, I would like to know anyone's thoughts on general good transitional year internships. I am NOT interested in a prelim medicine year or in a med intern year disguised as a TY program.

My hope is to find a program with somewhere between 4-5 months ward medicine, which should include ICU/CCU work. I would like 3-5 months electives. My plan, if in a TY program, would be to have electives in: Peds, OB/GYN, Ortho, even Dermatology. So, my hope is that these places you may recommend would have good teaching in those services.

Does anyone know of such programs? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

misfit

Members don't see this ad.

Some of my colleagues really seemed to be happy with their TY experience at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. Gotta be careful, though, especially if you want to do your intern year & residency in the same city. There are entire states without a single TY year program, and as you say, there are a lot of brutal TY years out there essentially IM prelim years dressed up as a TY....

Three good programs, extremely hard to get in to (but worth it if you do):
1. Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, IN (cake)
2. St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN (I believe meets all your requirements)
3. Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, IN (a bit more call than the others, but still an overall pleasant year).

I applied to all and had to scramble for IM internship, so be aware they are VERY competitive. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
IndyXRT said:
Three good programs, extremely hard to get in to (but worth it if you do):
2. St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN (I believe meets all your requirements)

Yes, I would agree with the St. Vincent's program. I interviewed there this past year and was quite impressed with the folks, especially the residency program leadership. I ended up not ranking them only because I didn't rank Indiana's Rad Onc program, and I wanted to do internship and residency at the same place.

St. Joseph's in Syracuse, NY.

Bassett in Cooperstown, NY.

Does anyone have any advice or information about the Transitional Programs in California? Along the same note, which Preliminary Medicine spots in CA are "easier" than others?

ForSkin:

My intention was NOT to find "cruisable" programs for an internship year. I realize that internship and residency can be tough.

What I was interested in was a TY program to serve as a good foundation for Anesthesia training. To me, that would not be just IM months, but also include a healthy mix of ER, ICU/CCU, Peds, Ortho, Trauma, etc.

Again, if anyone has information on what they feel is a good TY program with some/all of these attributes, please post them in this forum.

Thanks.

misfit

Thanks for the info, ForSkin. I've also heard that Scripps and Cottage are two of the most sought after positions, but I hadn't heard about the other places you mentioned. Really appreciate it. Thanks.

misfit said:
ForSkin:

My intention was NOT to find "cruisable" programs for an internship year. I realize that internship and residency can be tough.

I think he was replying to me, I'm going into ophtho and I have no problems admitting I'm looking for a cush internship year.

I am a DO student and looking into some allopathic programs that are -234. Any other input on either transitional year or prelim med year in the LA area? (either DO or MD) Thanks all!

I would also like to know what people have to sya about the progrrams in CA -- thus far Scripps seems a bit untouchable unless you have research and stellar USMLE scores. Arrowhead is a bit out of the way.
I would be most intestested in what people have to say about the others..
Harbour
Stockton
Santa Clara
thanks