Good veterinary biochem textbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcarter103

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year vet student, and biochemistry is really starting to scare me, a month into the semester. The professor who teaches it is not good at explaining things at all (I was warned about him by many, many previous students), and as someone whose strength has never been biochemistry, I'm really worried about this class. To make things worse, there is no assigned or recommended textbook for the class; we're just supposed to go off the notes that the prof gives us, and since I don't understand those, I'm in trouble! Do any of you have a recommendation for a good veterinary biochemistry book? One that "dumbs it down" a bit would be great!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I actually really like my undergrad biochemistry book. It is Mark's Basic Medical Biochemistry the authors are Colleen Smith, Allan D Marks, and Michael Lieberman. It has a lot of clinical stuff although it is human based. I feel your pain with the professor. Mine is okay but we are using the textbook he wrote and it has a bunch of errors and I don't like his diagrams. Second exam is tomorrow! It doesn't include a vitamin and minerals chapter--not sure if you will need that or not. That's the next section we are heading into!

Take a look at Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, by Nelson & Cox. It's not veterinary focused, but is a great biochem text. They manage to provide clear explanations and diagrams of reactions and pathways without dumbing things down, so you get the detail you'll need and want, and you'll actually be able to understand it on first read!

Members don't see this ad :)
"Instant Notes in Biochemistry" (part of the "Instant notes" series) helped me through biochemistry - I used it as my only textbook. Loved it. I am still raving about it years later... :)

I'll go in on it too... I found it extremely helpful when I was taking an upper level biochem as an undergrad. It's making this current round of cell bio MUCH easier to deal with.