Good way to ask about rate of pay for intern position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farmtastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything on SDN about this topic specifically (i.e. for working students).

I've been offered an intern position at an insurance company, working with pharmacists on business related tasks.

Is there a good way to ask about the rate of pay? They want me (and I indicated that I want them) but I would like to find out how much the wage is? What is a good way to straight up ask this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is pay going to affect your decision to work there? My girlfriend got an internship with her accounting firm and was delighted to learn of her $22/hr when she started. I'm not sure if it looks poorly on one to ask about pay, but if it's not going to affect your decision you could either not ask or ask in a way that gives reaffirmation or shows a reason for asking, ex. "What kind of compensation should I expect when I start?"

Depends on your job market, if you're in one of those areas where an intern spot is like an ounce of gold on the side of the road then why would it matter how much you get paid?

Members don't see this ad :)
You already got the position, so they won't "un-hire" you. Just ask, and be professional about it. Most people understand that money is a big factor in the career opportunities that people pursue.

So after asking, what is a good way to ask for a higher wage? I've been reading up on negotiating tactics but most of the points don't seem relevant to someone in my position (Pharmacy intern). I've never had experience with trying to increase my salary by negotiating so I would appreciate some tips!

So after asking, what is a good way to ask for a higher wage? I've been reading up on negotiating tactics but most of the points don't seem relevant to someone in my position (Pharmacy intern). I've never had experience with trying to increase my salary by negotiating so I would appreciate some tips!

Asking for a raise before proving your value is a bad way to start off a new job, much less an internship. Also keep in mind that most rates are set from the start and is hard to change or not worth changing.

Good point Aznfarmerboi,

What about this:

They didn't tell me the salary (and I didn't ask) but they're making me fill out paperwork and it asks me my "Desired Compensation."

Is there any risk that if I put an amount too low, they'll think that they should just pay me the lower wage? Like, if I write $15 and they were thinking $16, maybe they'll just pay me $15? I don't know what to think! Do you typically put something a little higher than what you think you might get? How does it work?

Good point Aznfarmerboi,

What about this:

They didn't tell me the salary (and I didn't ask) but they're making me fill out paperwork and it asks me my "Desired Compensation."

Is there any risk that if I put an amount too low, they'll think that they should just pay me the lower wage? Like, if I write $15 and they were thinking $16, maybe they'll just pay me $15? I don't know what to think! Do you typically put something a little higher than what you think you might get? How does it work?

You're deliberating too long. The more you think about it, the greater the chance that someone will take the job. Just put something down. Base it on what others in the area are getting as their starting salary.

Asking for a raise before proving your value is a bad way to start off a new job, much less an internship. Also keep in mind that most rates are set from the start and is hard to change or not worth changing.

My boss hired a new grad a few years ago. He was given an offer and accepted pending the passing of the Naplex and the Law exam. After the student passed the Naplex the conversation went like this:

Student: I think we should talk about compensation. I think I need an increase?

Boss: I think you should fill a few prescriptions first and then we can speak.

As was pointed out above in the corporate world, these companies have set pay scales for internships. These are not negotiable positions and it's not like there aren;t about 1000 people who would like the job. Enjoy what they pay you, suck up, make a good impression and you may have a cushy 9-5, mo holiday, no weekend, no standing on your feet job when you graduate. Or as Mr Miyagi would say:

Concentrate, focus power....

OK You guys make good points.

Let me clarify.

They haven't stated what they will pay me.

But in the paperwork I am filling out there is a box that says "Desired Wage" or something like that. Is it bad if I fill out something too high or low, etc. ?

Let me clarify.

But in the paperwork I am filling out there is a box that says "Desired Wage" or something like that. Is it bad if I fill out something too high or low, etc. ?

Write negotiable.....

Let me clarify.

i usually just put "competitive" on job apps, meaning as long as the salary is competitive with similar jobs i'm down.

Write negotiable.....
+1

If you really need to know the answer to the question, tell them you are creating your budget and you would like to know what the current rate for this position is. Make sure you thank them after you receive your answer, regardless if you like the number or not.

Here is the thing, you are an intern....you have ZERO bargaining power. If you walked away today, what would they lose? Answer: ZERO. There are ten more of you waiting for you to balk.

Last edited: