Goodbye Publix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daeg_doodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted a Job offer from Walmart Pharmacy as a Technician. I'm licensed and registered with the state board of Pharmacy.

Before obtaining my credentials, I started with Publix as a bagger in 2013, eventually making cashier and then being trained (Nov.2014-Present) for Pharmacy Technician. Our pharmacy fills around 750-850 scripts per week. I make 8.80 an hour here in FLA, and they bounce me around from customer service to pharmacy. I work every Tuesday and Thursday and every other Sunday (10-20 hours) and I pick up the rest of my shifts on register listening to people tell me about their day.:bang:

Not anymore.:smack:

Since our pharmacy was slow, we were only allotted 60 tech hours/week, with two other techs picking up shifts from other stores. I didn't receive proper training because we're understaffed, both pharmacists regularly complained to me about how the other techs didn't know how to do anything (and neither did I, because instead of being shown how to do something I was shoved on pick-up or drop-off so the pharmacist didn't have to). Our PSE sales were off the chain, and our customers lined up one after another to purchase the stuff. We are severely inefficient.

Being at Publix part time = no guarantee of hours, obama care, no vacation, no discounts, and regularly being harassed by managers about going over your hours and getting your hours cut the next week because they called me in to cover some one else's shift. It also means that, just because I am registered with the board and work in the store's pharmacy, they don't have to change my job class, and they didn't. They kept my job class as cashier so they wouldn't have to give me a raise (Tech's make 9.55 minimum). The worst part was not even a month before I obtained my licensure I was told in my eval that once it came, they would change my job class and as result give me another raise. Two months later... nothing... This has been going on for 6 months.

So within a 7 day period, I applied at online, got called in for an interview, and unofficially hired on the same day by Walmart (my official hire date is the 23rd, when they called me in for orientation, Walmart waits for the drug and background screening to come in before they call it official).

Walmart hired me on at 10.40 an hour, and 11.60 after my 90 day probationary period, where they will also pay for me to become nationally certified.

Pharmacy closes for a 30 minute break.... What?! I've pulled ten hour shifts without a single 10 minute working for Publix. I will also get health insurance part time, a guaranteed 32 hours a week, 10% discount card, and 34 hours paid vacation.

And people are so brain-washed that Publix is the end-all be-all of retail supermarkets. They are abusive and outright lie to their employees on a daily basis. "We own it"? more like, "They own us" :bullcrap:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on moving up in the world, although I would wait to see how the new job goes before bragging about how much better the new place is.

Walmart is actually really good for techs and pharmacists. I started as a tech there after I was at cvs for a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will continue to update, but so far I haven't been let down. I have put in about 24 hours so far this week, yet still have 27 CBLs to complete before I get to go behind the counter. The training is way more extensive than what I received with Publix to get my license in the first place... They want the techs to know pretty much all the laws that even revolve around the pharmacist. Things I was told to just "do" at Publix I have actually been taught "why" here at Walmart. The technician I'm training with has worked for CVS previously, and most recently she left Walgreens (no hours at the location she was employed).

I don't want to saturate the forum with another thread, so are there any current Pharmacy associates willing to offer a look into the ConnexUS system? I've only ever used McKesson's EnterpriseRX and have the all the basic SIGs down as well as the hotkeys.

I don't want to saturate the forum with another thread, so are there any current Pharmacy associates willing to offer a look into the ConnexUS system? I've only ever used McKesson's EnterpriseRX and have the all the basic SIGs down as well as the hotkeys.
You can pm me if you have questions about connecxus

Dude...it's not Publix as a company that's screwing you over; it's the people who you were with. I've been with Publix for nearly 2 years as an intern and granted my training was non-existent, I slugged through it and learned the pharmacy system on my own with little/no guidance. I don't get any store discounts or paid vacations and I'm labeled part-time even though I work 34+ hour every week (which I'm sure that's considered full-time at Publix) and I also work 10+ hours without an actual break. Do you see me complain about my situation? Hell no. I'm grateful as hell to actually have a job IN pharmacy when the whole field is in jeopardy.

Don't bash the company when it was a select few individuals who got your panties in a knot.

Dude...it's not Publix as a company that's screwing you over; it's the people who you were with. I've been with Publix for nearly 2 years as an intern and granted my training was non-existent, I slugged through it and learned the pharmacy system on my own with little/no guidance. I don't get any store discounts or paid vacations and I'm labeled part-time even though I work 34+ hour every week (which I'm sure that's considered full-time at Publix) and I also work 10+ hours without an actual break. Do you see me complain about my situation? Hell no. I'm grateful as hell to actually have a job IN pharmacy when the whole field is in jeopardy.

Don't bash the company when it was a select few individuals who got your panties in a knot.

I understand where you are coming from completely. Perhaps I've got blinders on since I reported to the same location for two years(however both my sister, who worked for Publix 7 years and is now an OTR truck driver, and my mom who now works for walmart as well, have shared similar issues). I understand management can differ greatly from store to store, which is rather unfortunate but it is what it is. My store manager would deny transfer requests for all associates unless it were dire (they were moving or something equally as serious). Fortunately though, once I moved to the pharmacy most of my issues were resolved with a pretty good support group. My biggest issue, and perhaps the one that prompted me to leave the company, was that despite having been trained and licensed with the state board, management kept passing the buck on one another when I pursued my job class change. As it stood, I've been doing the work of a technician for 6 plus months, receiving cashier's pay. Not even pharmacy cashier or "clerk" as they call them, I still "belonged" to customer service. I even asked to be removed from the schedule up front, I just wanted to work the 2 or 3 days I was scheduled in pharmacy and didn't care about receiving extra hours up front. They refused because of my "job class."

On a side note, I didn't mind working through my breaks, our Pharmacists would allow us to bring food/drink into the pharmacy and even let us go grab something to eat while we work. But Walmart requires all associates to take two, paid 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute unpaid meal, plus all the other benefits, why settle for less? My hours are now more consistent, and all 32 of them are in the pharmacy (as opposed to 19 hours on a good week) and not some other department as I've dealt with previously. Plus I was started at a higher pay than what Publix promised me originally, all without going through any red tape!

I'd also like to add that I was behind the counter today! They started me on filling, couldn't believe it but I got the hang of their process pretty quickly and by 3:30 I had no more to fill. I'm probably not allowed to speak about the process in depth, but current Walmart and former Publix (or vice versa) associates will understand that the whole process is much more efficient here! Keeping it at a minimum, you'd have to be an idiot to get a bag error, and filling scripts and sticking them in baskets (never mind even stacking them) is so unsafe and prehistoric to me now lol. People complain about Walmart not having any organization but today couldn't have gone more smooth.

Last edited:
It sounds like you had a rough management team to deal with. I worked for Publix for several years and I had a very pleasant experience. Their volume isn't comparable to what Wally does on a daily basis so tech hours are sometimes difficult to come by. Working in more than one department to make ends meet stinks but honestly if I couldn't work for Target or the VA, I'd go right back to Publix. WalMart seems like a pretty soulless company to work for...almost as bad as CVS. But hey, at least you get a lunch break. Good luck!