Goodbye Short White Coat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytanaka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, 4th year students. Congrats on almost being done.
Just thought I'd share a little video we made last year (see the other related videos too) on what we did with our short white coats.
Lot of memories packed in that couple square yards of cheap fabric...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKSRH-NQyk

Members don't see this ad.

We started an annual tradition of going to the beach and burning them all in a huge bonfire!

...except I still wear a short white coat now...

I enjoyed cutting mine up into pieces and using it to polish a very dirty wooden floor:laugh:

Until your chief year. Then it's long white coat time!

Let me guess - the respiratory therapists and midwives wear long coats, don't they?

Until your chief year. Then it's long white coat time!
Do the interns there still wear white pants and shoes? Or was that a rumor?

As an aside, the Chairman of Surgery at BIDMC wears a short white coat. He makes some big deal about how "he's always learning." Seemed a little disingenuous to me. :rolleyes:

As an aside, the Chairman of Surgery at BIDMC wears a short white coat. He makes some big deal about how "he's always learning." Seemed a little disingenuous to me. :rolleyes:
Guess where Blades chairman trained?

I think that may be a MGH thing. I've seen a few attendings wearing short coats who've trained there who say the exact same thing.

Let me guess - the respiratory therapists and midwives wear long coats, don't they?

Not sure if we have midwives, but yes, the other residents + RT/nutrition/dietary/etc. wear long white coats.

BTW, the Brigham also has short white coats for the residents.

Once you get your long white coat, the first thing you'll want to do is take it off.

Yep.

Down here in Central Texas, summers are 103 degrees and 93% humidity. Some of us (in GIM) end up wearing t-shirts and scrub pants, and only wear the coat when necessary.

Once you get your long white coat, the first thing you'll want to do is take it off.

Mine has been in the trunk of my car for six months now.

But you're in EM, right? I wouldn't wear it there...too many chances for it to get dirty!

But you're in EM, right? I wouldn't wear it there...too many chances for it to get dirty!

I thought that was the purpose of the white coat. It gets dirty so that you don't.

I thought that was the purpose of the white coat. It gets dirty so that you don't.

Whenever I'm doing lots of bedside procedures I just wear scrubs - much easier to change them if I get body fluid splatter all over me.

Hey, 4th year students. Congrats on almost being done.
Just thought I'd share a little video we made last year (see the other related videos too) on what we did with our short white coats.
Lot of memories packed in that couple square yards of cheap fabric...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKSRH-NQyk

Be careful what you wish for!...there are many days where I'd be so happy to trade back to a short white coat and be a fourth year medical student again...that was the easiest year of my life in terms of having the most amount of free time and the least amount of responsibility!