Google Voice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some one else, who is far smarter than me, said to get a Google Voice number. Can't remember if this was a colleague from residency days, or if it were here on SDN. But get yourself a google voice number. And use that to give to locums or recruiters.

This way your real phone number doesn't keep ringing through out the day, and if you ever get established with a job or your own private practice you can let the Google voice number go... and poof no more will your cell phone get spammed by locums.

Now they are doing the double tap, one to the voicemail, followed up by a quick text message.

I made a historic mistake in residency when walking around at an APA conference and gave out my real cell phone number.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Yep exactly what I did. My google voice number is on all my CVs too. You can also set it up so that when you get a call, they have to say their name so you can hear it and accept it (like a collect call almost). Deters recruiters from bugging you too much.

I really think everyone should have a google voice number or something similar so you can initiate interactions but easily block people if you want without someone having your real phone number.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I use the business /HIPAA-compliant google voice. It also comes with auto-attendant and voicemail to text to email features.

I use the Doximity dialer when I make outgoing calls, so that my main line is visible. If people call my main-line they get the automated attendant. I have to use this in conjunction because by using the Google voice app, I can only make it anonymous or have my “direct” Gvoice number show.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user