Got a B- in Gen Chem I :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SaltySailor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

It hurts me to write this, but I recently took general chemistry I at Columbia University through their post-bacc program and received a B- in the course 🙁 It really hurts me to say this, but I have a 2.9 GPA, which does not make the situation any better. I'm really worried that this is the end of my medical school ambitions. I also received a B+ in a pre-calc course. The purpose of this post is to find encouragement or sympathy from other people. I'm super depressed right now, it really hurts just writing this 🙁

My worst fear is to complete all the post-bacc courses and get rejected from every school, with no job, and nowhere to go 🙁 I quit my job to go to school full time and complete these classes. I also volunteer at a hospital.

Thanks to anyone who can reply.
 
Nothing you can really do about that grade, but what do you think went wrong? Do you think you devoted all your time to studying for these classes? What could you have done differently? Are there resources such a tutoring/office hours that you didn't make use of?

^I think you need a moment to reflect on what happened the past semester and try to figure out what went wrong and how you can fix them. A
 
Last edited:
I spent all day studying for the courses. Some days, I would daze off in class, because I have ADD. Is it worth continuing? I'm so scared, I've never been this depressed in my entire life. SO sorry for the negative post.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spent all day studying for the courses. Some days, I would daze off in class, because I have ADD. Is it worth continuing? I'm so scared, I've never been this depressed in my entire life. SO sorry for the negative post.

No need to apologize. Many of us have been in similar positions. What are your goals? Are you in a career changer post-bac, and do you care about MD vs DO?
 
heybubbaa,

I'm a career changer and grade enhancer. At this point, I don't care about DO or MD.

You're probably fine for DO if you can do good on the MCAT and get your GPA up a little bit. For MD you will probably need a true SMP after your post-bac. There's really no need to be discouraged. Just learn from the past and try your best moving forward. A career in medicine is definitely not out of reach for you.
 
I spent all day studying for the courses. Some days, I would daze off in class, because I have ADD. Is it worth continuing? I'm so scared, I've never been this depressed in my entire life. SO sorry for the negative post.

Are you currently treating your ADD? If not, why?
 
Yeah we need to know if you're treating the ADD. It doesn't take anywhere close to studying all day to being able to ace gen chem 1. It would only take you that long if you're not studying well and wasting most of that time zoning out or not actually studying.