Got a C in an upper level bio, how will it hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I recieved a C in an upper level bio course here at my school, UMD College Park. The course was Mammallian Physiology and it is a 400 level course. How bad will this affect my chances, my GPA before the grade was 3.75 and this was my first C. Also, should I bother retaking the class?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

My advice - Have a beer! You don't get a C every day, celebrate it!
20 years from now, no one is going to care.

This is a cross-posted thread from pre-osteo. Nevertheless, I'll this question from an allopathic admissions perspective.

I think you are freaking out a little, in pre-med fashion. You got a C. That's never good, but you already know that. Luckily, it's your only one; keep it that way. Keep trending those A's. Will that C hurt you? Of course. It'll lower your GPA slightly and you'll have a C on your transcript. It won't kill you, though. Unlike in AACOMAS, which only includes the latest retake of a given class in the GPA calculation, the AMCAS will average everything together, including retakes. Thus, retaking the class won't have the same positive impact with respect to your GPA, from a pre-allo perspective as it would from a pre-osteo point of view. Nevertheless, taking that into consideration, you can retake the class if you want and have the time. I doubt it could hurt you to prove that you can actually get an A in the class. It'll probably only help. You needn't freak out about it though. Again, just keep trending A's in your classes. There is a remote possibility that an interviewer will bring it up, so be able to address it.

As the previous poster suggested: relax. ;)

Sorry for the cross post and yes it was Dr. Higgins. I didnt mean to post this in the DO forum. I just made stupid mistakes tihs semester and I can retake mamphys in the summer for the first session. I should be able to easily get an A this time around.

By the way, did you go to CP?