Physical Therapy Got a D in Physics I but an A in Lab and B in Physics II - Do I have to retake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I am a recent graduate of the University of Kentucky with a GPA of 3.49 (significantly rounded to 3.5) and I have now just completed all of my science pre-requisites:
General Chem I- B General Physics I-D+ Bio mechanics - B+
General Chem I Lab- A General Physics I Lab- A Medical Terminology- A
General Chem II- A General Physics II- B General Psychology- B+
General Chem Lab II- A+ General Physics II Lab- B Developmental Psychology- B+
General Biology I- A+ Introductory to Stats- C Nutrition - A
General Biology Lab- A Anatomy Physiology I - C+ Nutrition Health and Wellness- A
General Biology II - A+ Anatomy Physiology II- A+
General Biology II Lab- B Exercise Physiology- B+

I have made mainly As and Bs with only 3 low grades (i.e. Physics I, A&P I and Stats.) and am worried if I may get denied by most schools just because of those three classes. I took Physics I last spring and dropped right before finals because my professor was not going to curve the class, next following week I was told everyone bombed the final so the whole entire class was curved heavily. So I enrolled again in the fall while taking 21 credit hours that included Stats and bio mechanics, so I had a very heavy schedule that was mainly math related. I passed every physics exam with high 80s and maintained a high B in the class. When I had to take the final it was online, when I completed the exam I scored an 84 but unfortunately it did not go through on my professor's end so I sadly got a D in the class but an A in the lab. I am worried that I may get denied by schools due to those main 3 low classes especially physics I and I do not want to retake it for a 3rd time. However, I was also told by DPT students and other medical students not to worry about my other two classes it all matters about my interview. My question to everyone is am overly stressing this or do I need to worry? Please someone give me some advice. Thank you and hoping everyone is doing well during these hard times.
DPT? What do the programs require? Any minimum grades?

For MD and DO schools, you'd need to retake the Physics and ace it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, for medical school (MD/DO) you need to retake the physics course if you got a D. Are you applying to medical or DPT school? Not sure about DPT stuff.

Also, students saying it only matters at the interview, but step 1 is to actually GET the interview.

DPT means Doctorate of Physical Therapy, the program I am interested is Indiana University. They only require Anatomy and Physiology or exercise Physiology, gen chem I and II, Physics I and II, Psych, and stats
You will need to check with their admissions Dean to see if they require a c or higher grade in the courses

Members don't see this ad :)
Would they not just take the B I got in Physics II?

If they require physics I AND II, they are unlikely to be satisfied with a grade of D in physics I regardless of your grade in physics II. You may be out of luck and have to retake the course for a better grade.

Is it possible I could get an interview and argue my case on why I got a D? I excelled in biomechanics which is basically physics and has more correlation towards Physical Therapy.

No. If a medical school requires you to have passed with a C or higher (which when I applied, they all did), then you would be screened out before even getting an interview.

This is for Physical Therapy schools, I'm not sure if you would know though since you're in Med

IMG_3466.JPG

You’re right. However, most graduate schools have similar policies. Maybe you should contact schools directly and see what they say.

Is it possible I could get an interview and argue my case on why I got a D? I excelled in biomechanics which is basically physics and has more correlation towards Physical Therapy.
If you wind up getting invited for interview, then you should prepare. Normally you would be screened out at my program.

Uh. Sure, anything is possible. But why would a school bring you for an interview if you don’t meet the minimum requirements?

Whether you like it/agree with it, or not, most schools will not take a C- as a "passing grade." If you are serious about school, retake the course and pass. You even said yourself that you "excelled in biomechanics which is basically physics," so retaking shouldn't be a big deal and you should be able to ace it!

You are appealing to the wrong people. The Admissions staff and committee make that call.

Status
Not open for further replies.