Got a question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtmunie

John 14:6
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a pre-med student and I have a question that I'd prefer med students to answer. Is there homework in med school? Apart from the reading and exams, do you have to do any papers or lab reports or anything? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Some research at certain schools and tons and tons of memorizing minute and useless details. If that isnt "homework" then i dont know what is.

At my school, not much in the way of papers or lab reports. Assignments usually involve researching a small topic and presenting it to a group (PBL groups in preclinical yrs, your team in 3rd and 4th yrs). Occasionally, you need to turn in patient writeups etc. Rarely does any of this take much time, especially compared to the amount of studying you'll be doing the first 2 years.

if you're asking this question because you're wondering how much time you have to spend out of class,
yes there is a TON of work outside class... you can't just go to lecture, absorb the info and pass the tests-- you need to memorize it and read more about what's going on. The only product is a score on a test but it requires a lot of time to get there.

if you're asking about the variety of assignments...
1. memorizing crap for tests
2. research project
3. case presentations
4. small-group discussion research
5. papers for clinical medicine classes
6. write-ups for preceptor