Got accepted at NYCOM; Should I Still Interview At WesternU - COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got accepted into NYCOM and already sent in my $1500 to save my spot. However, I just received notice two days ago that WesternU in Pomona, CA wants to schedule an interview with me. Now, should I even bother to go? I'm so broke right now, and can't afford to waste my money travelling to a school if I didn't plan to go there anyways. Here's my dilemma: seems like a lot of people agree that NYCOM has great rotations within NYC. However, I'm from California, and I would love to stay in California to be closer to my family. Plus, that means I can keep my car ( a rear-wheel drive that I can't use during the snow season). My gut feeling tells me to interview anyway to keep my options open. Does anyone have any comments about the rotations/consortium that COMP is involved in? In short, which is a better school? Help me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

misyel said:
Hi guys,

I got accepted into NYCOM and already sent in my $1500 to save my spot. However, I just received notice two days ago that WesternU in Pomona, CA wants to schedule an interview with me. Now, should I even bother to go? I'm so broke right now, and can't afford to waste my money travelling to a school if I didn't plan to go there anyways. Here's my dilemma: seems like a lot of people agree that NYCOM has great rotations within NYC. However, I'm from California, and I would love to stay in California to be closer to my family. Plus, that means I can keep my car ( a rear-wheel drive that I can't use during the snow season). My gut feeling tells me to interview anyway to keep my options open. Does anyone have any comments about the rotations/consortium that COMP is involved in? In short, which is a better school? Help me!!!

I usually say go with your gut. This is a time that comes only once in your life and your about to invest a lot more than 1500 for your future. There is another who posts here (adapt) that is probably choosing COMP over a bunch of other schools (MD & DO) for the chance to practice medicine and rotate though souther califorina and LA.

I say suck it up... interview and see where it goes. Maybe you'll love it...maybe you'll hate it. At least you won't say 4-5 years down the road that you shoulda, coulda, woulda gone to another school. No regrets!

P.S. my only concern would be if the class was full or not already but since they are still interviewing I would assume not.

misyel said:
Hi guys,

well if you want to be classmates with some really cool people like adapt (aka slick), that dr, jack, seputro, fowlers gap, me, ;) and so many others, then go to COMP. I turned down an interview at New Jersey, because I'm very happy with Western and once you check it out you might be too. It just kind of sucks that you lucked out on those $1500 and Western wants $2000 to save your spot if you get in....
:eek: it's just amazing how much they charge...good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I would say that if you want to practice in CA, go to COMP. Most of the DOs in CA came from COMP since it was founded in 1972, and so DOs who head some of the residency programs here went to COMP.

Also, COMP grads head the DO residency programs of neurosurgery, orthopedics, and anesthesia at Arrowhead and Riverside County Medical Center so COMP students have the advantage of getting residency there.

Most COMP students rotate at all the institutions in CA particularly southern CA at the above mentioned hospitals and also can do some rotations at UCLA, USC, UCI, and Loma Linda medical centers.

Also, supposedly hospitals in CA especially in the southern part know of COMP students as going to WUHS. That is, they know it's a DO school and have heard of Western. Few have heard of TUCOM or any other DO school simply because no other DO school generally does rotations down there.

NYCOM is a great school and puts many people into specialities. Looking at their list though, there are few that eventually practice in CA. If you want to practice outside of CA, go to NYCOM. However, COMP has the homefield advantage in CA. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments! I do have two more questions... I heard that COMP looks like a strip mall. Is that true? Also, am I going to feel unsafe when I walk around campus late at night?

misyel said:
Thanks for the comments! I do have two more questions... I heard that COMP looks like a strip mall. Is that true? Also, am I going to feel unsafe when I walk around campus late at night?
:laugh: Yes COMP used to be a mall. It was changed into the university. As for walking around the campus late at night, I think there are security guards around. However, I wouldn't do it because the neighborhood isn't all that great.

This is why students don't live right by campus. However, you figure it's only 2 years there. Plus there's a gay bar on campus which adds to the interesting atmosphere. :D

hahahaha Excellent! I know all about them gay bars here in San Francisco! LoL Hey, their clubs are cheap, and they serve strong drinks! :p

Well, I would say that COMP is not located in a city like atmosphere really. It is more of a suburban type place. If are used to a downtown type setting, maybe NYCOM is good for you. I'm not sure if NYCOM's located in the city though.

When I visited NYCOM, I liked how it was in the middle of a suburban community, and yet NYC is within about an hour's drive away. Same thing for Pomona I would think? LA's within an hour or so... assuming there's no traffic. LoL

I'm not even gonna stress about it right now. I set my interview for the 1st of June, and if it works out, then I'll have another option. If not, I'm happy with NYCOM. :)