Got accepted to pharmacy school. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WSUWarrior012

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I was just recently accepted into Wayne State University's (Detroit, MI) PharmD program and I am very ecstatic about it. However, now I am wondering about what my next step should be. I've heard some of the P1 and P2 students at my interview day mention something about applying for an internship right after you get accepted. Should I go through with this? Or would it be better to wait until after my P2 year to get an internship since the P1 year is just essentially a review of the pre-requisite courses from undergrad? P2 is the year where students start learning the technicalities of pharmacy as well as the drugs/medications in general. I hear a lot of people say not to wait too long to get an internship because it gets progressively more difficult the longer you wait. However, it doesn't make sense to make to get an internship in pharmacy without evening learning anything about the medications prior (P1). What do you guys think? Should I go for an internship or would going for a pharmacy technician job be a better option? For those of you who may have had the same situation as the one I described, what did you guys do? I am just stuck on trying to figure out what to do so that I can make my decision as early as possible.
 
Last edited:
Get an internship early, say in the middle of your P1 year. A lot of what you learn from work will help you in your classes. The application of knowledge can go both directions.
Don't you need to get a licence in order to become an intern? I know I may sound a little dumb and I apologize if I do, but what are typically the requirements for someone to become an intern? I am just confused about this because I can't seem to find a set answer. I know it could vary depending on the state as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I was just recently accepted into Wayne State University's (Detroit, MI) PharmD program and I am very ecstatic about it. However, now I am wondering about what my next step should be. I've heard some of the P1 and P2 students at my interview day mention something about applying for an internship right after you get accepted. Should I go through with this? Or would it be better to wait until after my P2 year to get an internship since the P1 year is just essentially a review of the pre-requisite courses from undergrad? P2 is the year where students start learning the technicalities of pharmacy as well as the drugs/medications in general. I hear a lot of people say not to wait too long to get an internship because it gets progressively more difficult the longer you wait. However, it doesn't make sense to make to get an internship in pharmacy without evening learning anything about the medications prior (P1). What do you guys think? Should I go for an internship or would going for a pharmacy technician job be a better option? For those of you who may have had the same situation as the one I described, what did you guys do? I am just stuck on trying to figure out what to do so that I can make my decision as early as possible.

One of my best teammates who is now Hospital Director with residency PGY2. She failed two exams because the intern job was so stressful that they forced her to work the nights before the exams. She failed that exam and quit her job. We were shocked about her failures in those exams because she was the bright star had solid records of year 1 and 2 until the intern job. We were glad she recovered and moved on. (She eventually passed all make-up exams, graduated, went to do residency and now is working.)

The one realization that I want to point out is:
Many current pharmacists often advise you to work during school time because they passed and they made it through.

You want to consider advises from both sides: the ones that passed and the ones that failed. My school had a rate of 1 out of 5 failed and did not graduate.

So, consider this approach: pass many exams during first year to the point where you know:
your solid studying pattern,
your solid secret of passing the exams of your specific school,
your ability to handle the intense study load,
your ability to handle the stress,
after each exam, find the students that failed and and passed ask them both if they would like to work,
then, figure out the your available time,
then, find a job.

You will have plenty of chances to work. You only have a few chances to fail exam and avoid academic probation or academic disqualification from school.

Each of us is different. Most posters here are pharmacists who graduated. Where are the ones that did not graduate from pharmacy school?

Ultimately, the decision depends a lot on your background and studying skills. Consider your test scores of the first six months as the solid answer of your own ability, then, you decide.
 
Soon as you get your intern license, get an internship ASAP. Minimize your loans as much as you can and learn to live poor for the next 4 years, at least.
 
I found that P1 was the hardest year for me. But I quickly acclimated and found a studying habit that works for me. P2 is when you start taking all the therapeutic class, so make sure you keep up with the work, otherwise, it will pile up real fast. I have some old mediation charts/tables. If you like, just PM me 🙂
 
One of my best teammates who is now Hospital Director with residency PGY2. She failed two exams because the intern job was so stressful that they forced her to work the nights before the exams. She failed that exam and quit her job. We were shocked about her failures in those exams because she was the bright star had solid records of year 1 and 2 until the intern job. We were glad she recovered and moved on. (She eventually passed all make-up exams, graduated, went to do residency and now is working.)

The one realization that I want to point out is:
Many current pharmacists often advise you to work during school time because they passed and they made it through.

You want to consider advises from both sides: the ones that passed and the ones that failed. My school had a rate of 1 out of 5 failed and did not graduate.

So, consider this approach: pass many exams during first year to the point where you know:
your solid studying pattern,
your solid secret of passing the exams of your specific school,
your ability to handle the intense study load,
your ability to handle the stress,
after each exam, find the students that failed and and passed ask them both if they would like to work,
then, figure out the your available time,
then, find a job.

You will have plenty of chances to work. You only have a few chances to fail exam and avoid academic probation or academic disqualification from school.

Each of us is different. Most posters here are pharmacists who graduated. Where are the ones that did not graduate from pharmacy school?

Ultimately, the decision depends a lot on your background and studying skills. Consider your test scores of the first six months as the solid answer of your own ability, then, you decide.
If you cannot hold a job while going to school - you should rethink your career. I would be seriously concerned if 10-15 hours of work a week hindered your studying. I worked 35 hours a week and gradated top 5%. If you can't find 10-15 hours to pull a job, you have some major time management concerns,
 
If you cannot hold a job while going to school - you should rethink your career. I would be seriously concerned if 10-15 hours of work a week hindered your studying. I worked 35 hours a week and gradated top 5%. If you can't find 10-15 hours to pull a job, you have some major time management concerns,

Well, not everyone is as naturally smart as I suspect you are, and probably many people aren't as prepared for pharmacy school work as you were (think the lowering standards of pharmacy schools.) Also, if this person has a family, they will also take a significant more amount of their time, then if they were single. Perhaps they have religious commitments that take a significant amount of time. I just don't see it as a problem, if someone has difficulty adding work on top of a full-time school schedule.

To the OP, whether or not you need an intern license depends on what state you are working in. I would definitely try to get an internship ASAP, as many people on this board have reported difficulty in getting an internship. Working in a pharmacy is the best way to familiarize yourself with drug names & basic uses of drugs. People do work full-time during pharmacy school and make it, others need to spend their all their free time studying (others are somewhere in the middle.) Schools needs to be your first priority, because of how expensive it is, if you can work during the school year, that is great. If not, don't feel bad about spending your time studying.
 
With 17,000+ students set to graduate by next year, you are greatly hindering your chances to obtain a position after you graduate by not getting an internship. If you cannot handle 10-15 hours a week while going to school then you seriously need to consider changing careers.