They were invited to become part of the U.S. system before, becasue of their ability to produce excellent physicians, but turned it down because if they joined, SGU had to lower its tuition or something. I know their reason was financial and over loss of control. But SGU has exceeded even U.S. schools.
SGU students crack me up...trust me...if SGU could join the status of US med schools...they would...I had a SGU grad tell me that SGU is the "Harvard of the Caribbean"...that statement is SOOOOO wrong on SOOOO many levels...
The MAIN reason why I'd choose SGU over Ross is:
-SGU's campus is nicer
-Bought up a bunch of spots in with NYC for clinicals
-Ross's clinicals are going downhill
Ross's pros: shorter program, allows for no breaks
On a side note: out of the 'Big 4'...I'd go with AUC because St. Maarten is just so much nicer on a socioeconomic level...2nd choice would be Saba because the tuition is well priced...
All 4 will get you to the end if you're a ambitious student.
My father is a doctor and his colleagues and himself can't see beyond the 'Caribbean' thing...my youngest brother goes to NYU Med and he really can't distinguish either...
I'm applying to caribbean schools...why?
1. I'm old
2. I'm taking MCATs on Jan 31 of this year and I don't want to wait to apply for 2010 and find out I couldn't go anyways
3. I have a departmental 4.0 GPA B.S. Mathematics. 3.7 overall
4. 4.0/4.0 in my graduate program in Applied Mathematics
5. 4.0/4.0 in my postbaccalaureate premedical program
6. NO RESEARCH experience
7. NO VOLUNTEER experience
8. Nothing that makes me stand out
9. I'm averaging about a 33 on practice MCATs
10. No healthcare experience
11. Nothing in my past that would indicate that I would be a great physician. Unlike my brother who volunteered all over the world,etc...did research at NIH, etc...Thus I would completely suck during an interview,
so my only choice is to go offshore.
So I'll bust my butt for a year and a half and I'll be back in NYC for clinicals.
Although I appreciate many people advising to wait one year, do a bunch of research and volunteer, and apply to a US med school...for my life I think offshore is better. I'm married and my wife wants to start a family soon, so I'm very anxious to begin my medical education. If I wait until 2010...I won't start clinicals until 2012 versus 2011 and when you're my age...1 year makes a difference.