Got in to Nova....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got accepted to Nova...but im still waiting on PCO and ICO....what are everyone's thoughts on Nova? Is it a good optometry school? I did research before but now I am actually serious about the school so would love any more info. How does it compare to other schools? Academics and location wise? Please just fill me in on anything and everything! I would love to hear about it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Its hot down there! I don't know much about the school, people have mixed feelings about it, but it sure would be great to learn spanish!

It is hot. Its a commuter school, students live all over the place so you'd have the option to live close to Ft. L nightlife or the quieter suburbs.

I know NOVA is a optometry, pharmacy, and osteopathic med school. I'm not sure if you'd have to share classes with them other boy's but would be good to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you share a few classes with the dentistry students..which I think is awesome..because ive heard REALLY good things about their dents program. Any other opinions?

i also interviewed and was accepted there. Overall i think they improved their program dramatically from before when there were talks of the lost of their accreditation and low board passing rates. What I don't like is that they combine a good number of classes with students from other programs so it's lessly they'll expose to you optometry specific topics in the intro science classes. Another thing is the dress code. You'll be wearing a off-green colored scrub for THREE YEARS. Some students claim that it gives them the convenience of not having to decide what to wear each day but I think it's ******ed. Lastly, i've heard that a good number of people drop out of nova (because of anatomy.. hm) and end up going to/graduating from puerto rico. anyway g'luck w/ everything.

Yeah you share a few classes with the dentistry students..which I think is awesome..because ive heard REALLY good things about their dents program. Any other opinions?

thats what I thought, although it would be swell to learn about incisors and whatnot, personally I think it would be better to stick with the most optometry specific curriculum available.

as for the green scrubs, asides from not having to do laundry every day ;), the only down side is someone might mistake you for a med student :bang:

you guys should do ur research before assuming stuff...you dont go to school with the dentistry students..so you dont learn about incisors..u just take general courses with them in first year..and its only 2 or 3 courses..which include biochemistry and head and neck anatomy..which you would do at ANY optometry school...

Also, you dont HAVE to wear the scrubs. The dress code is Professional attire OR scrubs and I definately agree with this. It IS a professional school and I think students SHOULD come to class dressed appropriately. Secondly, NOVA's optometry clinic is right in the same building where you go to class..and you have to shadow upper year students during the day in your first and second years...and then you are in the clinic yourself in your 3rd/4th year...so it makes sense they would have the most strict dress code out of most optometry schools..where you have to go away from the campus to get to get to the clinic.

you actually do learn about incisors, because you take anatomy with dental students and they spend a fair amount of time focusing on the jaw and teeth, more than any other opt school

so you dont learn about incisors

mostly sarcasm on that comment, but look at your gen ed courses at nova:

Histology & Embryology, Gross Anatomy / Anatomy of the Head & Neck, Biochemistry, Microbiology, General Physiology.

There are no stats on this, but I'm sure the same courses with a class of pure opt students would have more specific curriculum, perhaps antidotes on certain topics that relate more to optometry. Not saying that your doing a teeth cleaning or anything it will just be a more broad generalized first year. Its just something else to consider when picking your school.

At PCO, those classes are very much geared towards OD students. We share our school with PAs and AuDs and do not share any of those classes with them. The only class we shared was Evidence-Based Medicine. We learn a lot of things that affect the eye that I don't believe you would learn in classes shared with other professional students.