Got interview all state schools but one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I email them?

• Yes!

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • NO way!

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

medhoper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got interviews at all my state schools (SUNY's) except for the one that's a few minutes from my home. I didn't hear back from this one yet, but I'm assuming no interview as its really late. Should I bother emailing them at this point telling them that I interviewed at all my other state schools except for them and was hoping i would get an invite?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I got interviews at all my state schools (SUNY's) except for the one that's a few minutes from my home and my top choice. I didn't hear back from this one yet, but I'm assuming no interview as its really late. Should I bother emailing them at this point telling them that I interviewed at all my other state schools except for them and was hoping i would get an invite?

I think doing exactly what you said would make it seem like you are entitled to an interview there. That's not what you want.

Instead, I would write an update and express your interest in that school and what exactly makes you want to go there. Maybe stopping by their office to drop off the letter would help.

If this school is your top choice and they are still conducting interviews, absolutely send them a letter. Just make sure that it's a substantive letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think doing exactly what you said would make it seem like you are entitled to an interview there. That's not what you want.

Instead, I would write an update and express your interest in that school and what exactly makes you want to go there. Maybe stopping by their office to drop off the letter would help.

+1 I voted no to the way you described the email. An update/interest letter can't hurt you. However, writing to say that you've been interviewed at all other state schools makes it seem like you are saying you deserve an interview, which would not look good.

I did send a couple update letters throughout the year. My point is I'm getting all these state school interviews and would really hope to get one from them more

I did send a couple update letters throughout the year. My point is I'm getting all these state school interviews and would really hope to get one from them more

Sorry but hoping may be all you're left with at this point. Writing a letter saying how you got a bunch of other interviews will only hurt what little chance you have left.

Edit: Sorry to be so blunt, but you must understand that the adcoms hold all the cards in this process. Trying to force your way in, short of giving the school a sizable donation is a recipe for failure.

Last edited:

I would not recommend showing up unannounced. There have been enough threatening/scary applicants this year to make everyone edgy.