Got my ACT score today...

sullyy

High School Junior
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I checked my ACT score online, boy was I surprised, and not pleasantly so. I got a 29 composite (writing still hasnt come in). I am a junior in high school and this was my first attempt at any of the standardized tests for college. I thought I did much better. I am going to get a tutor to help me for the next one, but anyone else have ideas on how to improve my score. My dream school is Hopkins and I don't think a 29 is enough sadly. Oh and also i didn't study or prepare for the test at all, could that have impacted my score much?

Members don't see this ad.

I never studied for the college admissions tests, but I took them several times and got better each time:

ACT 24, 27, 28, 31
SAT 1260, 1340, 1430

I didn't get any smarter between the tests, I just got better at taking the tests. A similar scenario happened for me with the MCAT; I improved with each practice test (I took 5), gaining 7 points over 1 month from my first practice test to the real deal.

I would recommend finding practice testing materials and just pounding them out until you are blue in the face. You know the information, you just don't know how to ace the test. You think people w/ 36 or 1600 (or 2400) are smarter than you? Probably not. They just prepared themselves much better.

OP, people like you worry me. 29 is a great score, take it and be happy. Don't be one of those people who "needs" a 34 to tell everyone about. I got a 30 when I took it and was perfectly content with it. It's a good score and so is yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
WashMe hit the nail on the head. Nice post man, very nice.

Don't get a tutor if you already have the discipline. Just buy practice tests and take them (20+) under timed conditions. Make sure you go over all of the answers to each question, even those that you got correctly, and evaluate all of the answer choices and why certain ones were wrong.

I think a 29 is a respectable score and unless you're applying to the HYPSM then you're fine. Focus on strengthening other aspects of application, such as your personal statement and meaningful extra curricular activities.

29 is a good score. If you take it again, you'll probably get a higher score (which I would recommend, for scholarship purposes). But you certainly don't need a higher score. 29 is not bad at all.

Good score. I got a 25 and I' already accepted, so it makes no difference to me. If you want to do better on the reading and science, read books. It helped me A LOT. Math is simple and english is simple. Writing is one of my strong points and I got a 10 so I am good there. Time constraint was my main issue.

Your score is not bad at all! Congratulations! But, because you are thinking about applying to more selective schools, I understand that you want a higher score. You have about a year to improve your score, and I definitely think you can. I went from a 24 to a 26 to a 30, so I know it is possible to improve. And those score changes were with little studying and only within five months.

What were your scores in each section? Knowing what you have to improve on can help me help you.

Just keep taking it. My first practice ACT I got a 29, then on the real deal I got 31, 31, 34. So really it's just becoming familiar with the test. 34 didn't make or break it for me at many schools it turns out so really, don't worry about it. :)

i got a 29 my first time as well. everyone i know did better the second time. good luck :)