Gotta question regarding clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeMD89

Starting Over...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so heres the deal. I will be graduating with a BA in Biochemistry. For the clinical experience, I will have been working in the healthcare field for 1.5 years as a CNA and 4 years as a Licensed Practical Nurse. I will have also shadowed every specialty and have put in over 600 hours as a volunteer for Red Cross and local hospitals. If I score average on my MCAT and my GPA is around 3.4, how good do you think my application would look to adcom?
Thanks alot

Also, I worked full time throughout my undergrad career and will have done 2 summers of research at a medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
shouldn't this be in the what are my chances section?

editing to add: the answer to your question is... pretty good. your GPA is a tad low (but not really). you will need to do better than average on the MCAT to have a really good shot at allo schools. i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
The docs I shadow all say the med schools will accept lower GPA's for clinical experience (including below a 3.0), as long as you not only show clinical experience hours, but your history of clinical experience. Meaning that 4 years as an RN is exceptional. What med schools want are people who have that passion about medicine and patient care.

The docs I shadow all say the med schools will accept lower GPA's for clinical experience (including below a 3.0), as long as you not only show clinical experience hours, but your history of clinical experience. Meaning that 4 years as an RN is exceptional. What med schools want are people who have that passion about medicine and patient care.

My bad... I meant LPN

The docs I shadow all say the med schools will accept lower GPA's for clinical experience (including below a 3.0)

In my experience there is no shortage of applicants with good clinical experience and excellent GPAs - I can't imagine any degree of clinical experience that would make up for a GPA below 3.0.