Governor's School

SlaskWroclaw18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody here applying to their state's Governor's School? I am currently applying to the Pennsylvania Governor's School of Health Care at the University of Pittsburgh (college I want to go to:D). Its a summer program where the students get to go to different hospitals (and the medical school :thumbup:) and get to experience first hand the world of medicine. I hope to get accepted. Anybody else?

Members don't see this ad.

So nobody is going to, wants to go, or has gone to Governor's School?

i was a govie for the class of 04... pretty much the best 5 weeks of my life.
which is why i applied to be a counselor this summer... chances are good that i'll be one too!

sooo excited:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i was a govie for the class of 04... pretty much the best 5 weeks of my life.
which is why i applied to be a counselor this summer... chances are good that i'll be one too!

sooo excited:thumbup:
Which state?

the one you're going to... PA

i applied last year but didn't get in... w/e

but did you hear about the budget? governors school programs are going to be the first to be cut. you can thank fast eddie for that...

i applied last year but didn't get in... w/e

but did you hear about the budget? governors school programs are going to be the first to be cut. you can thank fast eddie for that...

yup. it's causing quite an uproar among the govies. according to legislators this potential cut has caused the most resistance and they've been getting incessant phone calls/letters/email from constituents. but the thing is that i heard pgshc is not affected by this budget cut since it's funded by the dept of health instead of... education? i think. nevertheless they're still having it this year so it's all good :thumbup:

the one you're going to... PA
Yeh, if I get accepted.;) About the governor's cut, I think it applies to all the schools including health care because it is funded by the state I believe. I won't find out if I am getting accepted until the third week in April. So wish me the best luck. It would be awesome if I am accepted... a great and fun experience, a glimspe into the medical world, I would most likely be in Scaife Hall:cool:, and it would look great on a college application (especially Pitt's :cool:).

I have a few friends who went last summer and they absolutely LOVED it! One went to the art one and the other went for ag, both from PA! Good luck! =) I wanted to apply but I didn't get my application in in time.

Is this Governor's School program available in every state. I live in CA and I have not heard of it!

Yeh, if I get accepted.;) About the governor's cut, I think it applies to all the schools including health care because it is funded by the state I believe. I won't find out if I am getting accepted until the third week in April. So wish me the best luck. It would be awesome if I am accepted... a great and fun experience, a glimspe into the medical world, I would most likely be in Scaife Hall:cool:, and it would look great on a college application (especially Pitt's :cool:).

yeah i take that back. even though pgshc gets funded by the pa dept of health, if they're gonna cut govie schools they're gonna cut all of them. in fact the budget cut is affecting THIS summer's govie school so things arent looking good...

Is this Governor's School program available in every state. I live in CA and I have not heard of it!

it's a state-run program so i doubt every state has it. plus i dont think CA is going to start it any time soon considering the money problem its facing already...

we all have fast eddie to thank for this haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Well looks like it's official, they have shut down all of Pennsylvania' s Governor's Schools of Excellence which includes this year upcoming summer. :( I was so excited on the opportunity that I would be accepted. All the enthusiasm, work, and preparation I put in the application. It would been nice to know if I would of been accepted or not, and I was really looking forward to the opportunity if accepted. O'well.

well looks like it's official, they have shut down all of pennsylvania' s governor's schools of excellence which includes this year upcoming summer. :( i was so excited on the opportunity that i would be accepted. All the enthusiasm, work, and preparation i put in the application. It would been nice to know if i would of been accepted or not, and i was really looking forward to the opportunity if accepted. O'well.

nooooooooooo!!!

THIS JUST IN:
PGSHC will "continue" under the new name of The University of Pittsburgh Health Career Scholars Academy. Same applicant pool, new name, different sources of funding. Will be 4 weeks instead of 5. Good luck to all who applied!

I've been thinking of applying to the one at Samford but I want to take classes at the local college over the summer so I don't know if I'll have time... plus I'm volunteering at the hospital this summer... oh and getting a job... oh and then Rec Soccer's starting...

So just a little too busy for it. Stupid business....

I've been thinking of applying to the one at Samford but I want to take classes at the local college over the summer so I don't know if I'll have time... plus I'm volunteering at the hospital this summer... oh and getting a job... oh and then Rec Soccer's starting...

So just a little too busy for it. Stupid business....

govie school... my bad, the "health care scholars program" > all of those combined.

Maybe in normal situations but not when you owe your Aunt a thousand dollars for paying for your mission trip...

Maybe in normal situations but not when you owe your Aunt a thousand dollars for paying for your mission trip...

just tell her that you'll pay her back double that amount plus interest plus inflation when you become a hotshot doc :thumbup:

... somehow I doubt that'll fly with my Mom...

Well looks like it's official, they have shut down all of Pennsylvania' s Governor's Schools of Excellence which includes this year upcoming summer. :( I was so excited on the opportunity that I would be accepted. All the enthusiasm, work, and preparation I put in the application. It would been nice to know if I would of been accepted or not, and I was really looking forward to the opportunity if accepted. O'well.
any news? i know they met a couple weeks ago to review apps but unfortunately i wasn't able to attend. i would guess decisions are mailed out by now.

good luck kids

THIS JUST IN:
PGSHC will "continue" under the new name of The University of Pittsburgh Health Career Scholars Academy. Same applicant pool, new name, different sources of funding. Will be 4 weeks instead of 5. Good luck to all who applied!
No decisions on acceptances have been made. But I got a letter a few days ago from PGSHC stating that in order for me to attend (if I get accepted) than I have to pay a $1800 tuition.:(

No decisions on acceptances have been made. But I got a letter a few days ago from PGSHC stating that in order for me to attend (if I get accepted) than I have to pay a $1800 tuition.:(
whaaaaaaat wow no way... thats crazy