Gow-Gates block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vapor1122

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They never really taught it to us except mentioning it in passing, but from the textbook, it seems like a solid technique to know. Anyone use it much? Is it that difficult to do?

Members don't see this ad.

They never really taught it to us except mentioning it in passing, but from the textbook, it seems like a solid technique to know. Anyone use it much? Is it that difficult to do?

They don't really teach it at dental schools because it's not widely used. You can find some YouTube videos on how to do it. If done correctly the IANB is very effective. If that doesn't work infiltrate with septo. If that still doesn't work ur doing something wrong

I find it not bad - just make sure you get your landmarks right. Problem with gow gates is that the patient has to open wide for awhile.

Now I want to practice more Akinosi - that's a handy one to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use it sometimes...I have about a 65% success rate. When it works, it works really well. I like this technique when the patient has a lot of soft tissue flab and I find it tough to landmark for the IANB without putting my finger in next to the needle. You have to give an entire carpule, and it can take up to 5 minutes to take effect.

Basically, you align the syringe with the corner of the mouth and the tragus of the ear, about 2/3 of the way up to the maxillary tuberosity. You come across from the contralateral premolar. Be sure to aspirate.

Its taught at my school actually. We don't get to practice it on each other, but while in the clinic the instructors will teach it to us and help us do it on patients. It is something that is very easy to do, and with a higher success rate than IAN blocks when you know how to properly perform it.