Gpa 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudangelmeg23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of applying to medical school. I am a rising junior but am planning in graduating early, so I will be a senior this upcoming school year. I'm very worried about my GPA because its right at the cut-off and I wanted to know what my chances are and how to decide on what medical colleges to apply to. I'm gone to many websites that compare each medical school according to GPA and MCAT score and I have chosen about 34 schools based on their average GPA. Let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

dude don't leave school early with that GPA. use the extra year to bring it up instead of having to do it at grad school.

yeah, don't leave school early with a crap GPA, take an extra year to make it more competitive. A 3.0 will pretty much exclude you from MD schools, unless you have amazing ECs and MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the reason I'm planning on graduating early is because for the past 2 years my GPA has been 3.0 and hasn't been improving much. But say if I am applying to Medical schools now, how could i narrow down my college list. I have a list of 37 and i chose these schools based on the average GPA for all the colleges, i chose the schools that had the lowest average GPA.

I guess the reason I'm planning on graduating early is because for the past 2 years my GPA has been 3.0 and hasn't been improving much. But say if I am applying to Medical schools now, how could i narrow down my college list. I have a list of 37 and i chose these schools based on the average GPA for all the colleges, i chose the schools that had the lowest average GPA.

then try harder. NO us md school has an average even close to 3.0

If you haven't been able to break a 3.0 in undergrad, you'll do much worse in med school.

Allopathic med schools tend to consider you based on both GPA and MCAT score. With a cGPA of 3.0 and an MCAT of 37, you might be considered by the least selective med schools. With a cGPA of 3.3, you might do OK in the application process with a 34. With a 3.6, you're often fine with a 31.

Alternatively, if your MCAT score isn't as high as it needs to be to get a decent amount of consideration at MD schools, you could consider DO medical schools, where an average person who is accepted has a cGPA of 3.45 and MCAT score of 25.5. In this arena, you might be accepted with a cGPA of 3.0 if you have an MCAT score of 30, or so.

Alternatively, if your MCAT score isn't as high as it needs to be to get a decent amount of consideration at MD schools, you could consider DO medical schools, where an average person who is accepted has a cGPA of 3.45 and MCAT score of 25.5. In this arena, you might be accepted with a cGPA of 3.0 if you have an MCAT score of 30, or so.

Can't really compare average GPA of MD schools and DO schools because they score it differently. DO replaces grades for retakes while MD averages them out. Just saying... :)

I think grades would be averaged the same if a student never repeated a course. I got the impression that the original poster is a straight B student from what he/she has said.