GPA 3.58 Mcat 511 Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poitras99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So I was just wondering what my chances of getting into a Canadian medical school are. My GPA is 3.58 (3.0 2nd yr 3.8 3rd year, 3.9 4th year) and my mcat score is 511, 130/125/130/126. I am currently enrolled in a MSc program. Ive been volunteering with the food bank and with the students union for 3 years. I also have over 500+ hours of lab experience with a few co authorships coming soon. I am going to try to get some job shadowing experience.

Just wondering what my chances are?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What province? And is 125 your CARS score?

If so, you're going to have a rough time, to be honest. You are out for Mac, Western, Toronto, Ottawa, and NOSM (assuming you aren't from the North) in ON, and you're grades are too low to apply to other provinces. If you aren't in Ontario things might be different.

Realistically, you'd probably need at least 1, maybe 2 more years of undergrad OR a significantly higher CARS score (i.e. 130 for Western) to have a chance. It's just tough. Your application likely wouldn't even be opened pretty much everywhere if you applied now, unless you are from a province other than Ontario. That changes things

I am from alberta. Yes unfortunately that is my CARS score. I am contemplating retaking the MCAT.

I am from alberta. Yes unfortunately that is my CARS score. I am contemplating retaking the MCAT.
Retake, without question if you're from AB. UofC only looks at CARS.
But that (being from AB) gives you a chance, so that's huge advantage