GPA and college courses taken in High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phunky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
An upward trend is alright and will somewhat make up for the first 70 credits. But really in the end your gpa is still high enough to put you in the blue. Just score well on the mcat.

A 3.6 is still respectable. If you do well on the MCAT (>30 would work), you'll have no problems. Here's a helpful hint when you're looking at other people's ridiculous stats on this site: they're either way above normal or they're lying. If you ever feel overwhelmed, step back for a minute and realize that SDN doesn't accurately represent everyone applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. People have gotten in with final GPAs of below 3.6, and yours will be above that. Just make sure to kill the MCAT and have some nice ECs and everything.

How come our high school advisors do not tell us this? I was told that the grades that I made at a local CC during high school will NEVER matter, and are used only for transfer credit.

Was a bit shocked that these grades FACTORED into our actual AMCAS GPA. Sighhhh

Reactions: 1 user
How come our high school advisors do not tell us this? I was told that the grades that I made at a local CC during high school will NEVER matter, and are used only for transfer credit.

Was a bit shocked that these grades FACTORED into our actual AMCAS GPA. Sighhhh
Came as a surprise to me as well.

You absolutely should not try to explain this to med schools. If I were reading your application and saw that, it would really piss me off. There is nothing worse than someone with a high GPA who complains about one B- or any variation of that story. If your overall GPA is 3.6+ then you will not be screened out. Eventually, a human will review your grades and will see that you took these courses in high school. Any credit you earned as a high school student at a major university will only be a huge positive for your application. In short, relax and just focus on finishing strong and rounding out the other aspects of your application. - Admissions to Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate that piece of advice Admissions to Medicine. Thanks for the feedback!