GPA and Nonptcas programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I need some advice to improve my gpa and prepare to apply to pt school for the second time. I recently retook anatomy 1 for the third time and I got a B. I feel like this course will affect my chance due to retakes. I’m currently retaking classes I had C’s in and the GRE too.

Should I take another science course to improve my science gpa?
Also, should I look into nonptcas programs since they look at the applicants as a whole instead by the gpa?

I need help to understand if I’m on the right track or not? Please message or comment below?

Members don't see this ad.

Your anatomy grades are a very good indicator of your ability to be successful in PT school. It is a major part of the curriculum. If you are still in school completing your degree, focus on completing your coursework with the highest GPA possible. Then, when you are out of school, focus on retaking any pre-requisite classes where you do not have an 'A', preferably at a less expensive junior college. Since you already re-took Anatomy I, you now need to re-take Anatomy II and get an 'A'. Honestly, if you can't get an 'A', then you will never be able to compete with the thousands of other candidates with a higher GPA who are better prepared than you are.
Focus only on the pre-requisites, I don't think that additional (higher level=more difficult) science courses will help your GPA very much. Don't look at it as wasted time. You really need to know this stuff to be successful in PT school.
You may not be able to make very much difference before you apply again for the 2018-19 cycle, so maybe look at schools that have late deadlines (January instead of October).
Do your research. Whether you apply to PTCAS programs or non-PTCAS programs, you need to figure out which ones align best to your stats. Good luck!

Hi everyone I need some advice to improve my gpa and prepare to apply to pt school for the second time. I recently retook anatomy 1 for the third time and I got a B. I feel like this course will affect my chance due to retakes. I’m currently retaking classes I had C’s in and the GRE too.

Should I take another science course to improve my science gpa?
Also, should I look into nonptcas programs since they look at the applicants as a whole instead by the gpa?

I need help to understand if I’m on the right track or not? Please message or comment below?

I applied in the 2016-2017 cycle and got denied because i had 3 C's which dropped down my science GPA/pre req GPA. I retook those C's and got A's. It helped raise it by enough that it was in the 3.1 mark. I think retaking the classes that show you understand material need for PT school will be in your benefit. I would not take extra science classes just because, I would only retake the ones that are required because it will raise your science GPA and pre Req GPA. It's worth it to take a year off and work to increase your application especially because it is so expensive to apply. I would recommend at least 300-400 hours+ because that shows how dedicated you are and your knowledge of the field which will only help your application especially with a lower GPA. Retakes do help because if you do well, it shows you understand what you need to know for a DPT program.

I think a B is a good grade. I got an A and B for AP 1 and 2. Maybe retake other courses that are b- and c's. versus taking that a fourth time.

I was advised to do a year graduate program to help my GPA but decided that would be too much money and ultimately would steer me off course when I could directly change what held me from getting into a program the first time. I got in to a few programs this year and many waitlists.

I would look for schools that accept 2.8 and 3.0 versus a 3.2 and higher. There are many out there. Look for programs that accept 40+ applicants vs 20. You will have a good shot.

Don't give up! You are on the right track.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys so much!

I got my grade back from anatomy 1 and it’s an A. Now I’m retaking developmental psych, chem 1, and statistics this summer. I’m also retaking the GRE maybe in the spring 2019.

I’m thinking of applying in the fall 2019

Reactions: 1 user