Poland

As strong as me
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2005
AL
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Alright, so I am planning on applying to Samford University and maybe Auburn University as well (Alabama schools). Samford is my first choice and they say that Withdrawn classes aren't calculated. Also, they calculate only the grade of the most recent attempt in courses repeated. I believe this is great, of course. I am a little confused with all of these calculations, though.

Anyway, I am currently enrolled in an online course this Summer semester that I am doing badly on. I know that I could improve this grade to an A average if I were to retake it on campus instead of the internet. I want to take a W for the class since my pharmacy school won't calculate it. However, PharmCAS says I must report ALL classes taken. If I take the "C" (awful) that I am probably going to get, this will lower my GPA way too much. Should I repeat this class on campus or take a W? I must take financial aid into consideration. Does a "W" make it more difficult to obtain financial aid? Yes, I'm pretty worried about this. In a nutshell, is the "W" or first course grade going to be calculated by PharmCAS? After all, they ask for ALL courses attempted.

Thanks for listening. Any comments?

JordanP

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale
Status
Pharmacist
Ws are not calculated into your GPA by PharmCas. It is better to take a W than have a C on your transcript, which will lower your GPA. You can always account for a W somehow if asked at an interview, its going to be harder to account for a C. Good Luck.

Poland said:
Alright, so I am planning on applying to Samford University and maybe Auburn University as well (Alabama schools). Samford is my first choice and they say that Withdrawn classes aren't calculated. Also, they calculate only the grade of the most recent attempt in courses repeated. I believe this is great, of course. I am a little confused with all of these calculations, though.

Anyway, I am currently enrolled in an online course this Summer semester that I am doing badly on. I know that I could improve this grade to an A average if I were to retake it on campus instead of the internet. I want to take a W for the class since my pharmacy school won't calculate it. However, PharmCAS says I must report ALL classes taken. If I take the "C" (awful) that I am probably going to get, this will lower my GPA way too much. Should I repeat this class on campus or take a W? I must take financial aid into consideration. Does a "W" make it more difficult to obtain financial aid? Yes, I'm pretty worried about this. In a nutshell, is the "W" or first course grade going to be calculated by PharmCAS? After all, they ask for ALL courses attempted.

UVaWahoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
getting a C wont kill you though, I got Cs both semesters of orgo, and in my cell bio class, and i got in 2 of 4 places i applied, and am on the alternate list at one.....so yeah, just dont panic if you get a C, its not that bad.

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Poland said:

getting a C and getting a W can be interpreted in two different ways....a W raises questions about your performance regarding that particular class, a "C" lowers your GPA........ I think a W works to your advantage a little bit more because you can explain yourself regarding the matter later on in the interview......i say it's 50/50, try to raise up your grade as much as you can, if by the drop deadline and your grade is still bad, go for the W...........

About the Ads