GPA Calculation and Counted Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JapaneseSakura

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, Hi! <3

I was wondering, how would you calculate your GPA? I'm sure there are particular sciences classes that don't count (Geography, I don't think that does) and how do you know your science classes counted? Does that include Math classes too? Is there a list somewhere? I'm trying to calculate my GPA to put it on MDapplicants.com :confused:

Thanks You!!!!!! <3<3<3

***I accidentally post this topic in the "Osteopathic" forum section, for people already in Osteopathic school. Sorry about that, please delete that topic please ^&^***

Members don't see this ad.

All courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math. Nothing else. If you want to see more discussion on this topic search the forums for "bcpm".

Edit: BCPM is actually for MD but math isn't applied to science GPA for DO as was stated below. Cumulative GPA is for every class. Sorry about that. I sometimes forget which sub-forum I'm in. :oops:

Last edited:
There are 2 different GPAs that are commonly used in med school admisions. The most common is you science GPA (sGPA) which is calculated by averaging all of your biology, chemistry, physics, and math classes. The other common GPA is your overall or cumulative GPA (oGPA / cGPA) which averages all of your classes together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I appreciate it!!

So it's all your science courses? Are there science courses that don't count or it doesn't matter either way?

For AACOMAS (DO schools) MATH does NOT count towards science gpa...engineering does count.

For AMCAS (MD schools) MATH does count toward BCPM gpa.