GPA Calculation, both overall and Pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michellita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a bit confused on how to calculate GPA.
For PT school, do the classes you took at community college get factored into your overall GPA? Like do they add CommCollege GPA stuff along with University GPA? I live in Texas and I'm applying to only Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
My community college classes taken after my undergrad were counted into my "Post Baccalaureate" GPA which combines with my "UnderGrad Cumulative" thus giving you an overall GPA on PTCAS. So yes, on PTCAS, community college courses do count towards your overall GPA.

Everything counts towards cumGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, what starrsgirl said. every single course you took after high school (pretty much) is included in your "cumulative/overall" GPA. Hence, the name!
and for your pre-req GPA, programs typically calculate it in two ways:
1) Avg out all of your prerequisite course attempts
2) Only take the best attempts at each prereq course (so gracious!)

BUT, some programs only allow you to repeat a course once or allow courses taken within the last 5 years, 7 years, 10 years, etc...
There are so many unique guidelines to every single program, you will have to do some thorough research on the programs you are most interested in.