GPA Calculation - undergrad coursework in grad school

Started by Campana
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Campana

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've read through the AMCAS guide and I'm not certain I fully understand how they would treat my coursework in calculating my undergraduate GPA.

I recently looked much more closely at my transcript and realized that all of my graduate coursework (to get my teaching credential / aka teaching certificate) is categorized as undergraduate level work.

By the time I'm ready to fill out anything in AMCAS I'll have:
  1. a bunch of obviously undergraduate units towards my bachelors
  2. a bunch of undergraduate level courses listed on the transcript in the section under Graduate
  3. a bunch of obviously undergraduate pre-reqs taken as part of a formal pre-health post-bacc
Based on the fact that #2 was undergraduate coursework that was formally part of a graduate program, I think AMCAS would lump it into a Graduate GPA. But, since it was technically for a "certificate" and not a "degree", I started to wonder if it would all count as undergraduate work. Really, since it was mostly A grades, I'd love to have it all count in undergraduate, but...well, I'm just curious so I can have a more accurate perception of how AMCAS would view my GPA.

Thanks!
 
That is the page I am looking at too. I want to make sure I'm properly interpreting the language used and the AMCAS treatment of certain Graduate Programs.

In some places, the meaning of the words chosen have significance, and others are less rigid. So, in this place, does AMCAS place specific meaning on the word "degree":

"If you have attempted undergraduate-level coursework while formally enrolled in a graduate program and the undergraduate coursework does not count toward the graduate degree requirements..."​

Until I saw that my university had re-classified my post-bachelors "Graduate Program" teaching credential coursework as undergraduate level, I never would have questioned it. But now, I am presuming that since no "degree", only a "certificate" was granted, then all the coursework should be categorized as Post Bacc...

It's a ways out, so I suppose I can always ask AMCAS when the time arrives. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad