GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doingright

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took an undergraduate course during my graduate studies. Will the grade of this course count towards my graduate GPA or undergraduate GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I took an undergraduate course during my graduate studies. Will the grade of this course count towards my graduate GPA or undergraduate GPA?

Best answer would come from AACOMAS support. But I think you'd place it as your graduate GPA because you already completed your UG degree. It'd be the most transparent.

I believe any courses taken while enrolled in a graduate program end up in your graduate GPA:

Definitions for Completing College and Coursework
Academic Status

Freshman: Approximately 0 - 32 semester hours completed

Sophomore: Approximately 31 - 64 semester hours completed

Junior: Approximately 61 - 96 semester hours completed

Senior: Approximately 91 - completion of undergraduate degree

Post Baccalaureate: Courses taken after completion of the bachelor’s degree, including those for a subsequent bachelor’s degree, but not while enrolled in a graduate degree program

Graduate: Courses taken while enrolled in a graduate degree program

Yeah, just email AACOMAS to be certain. They're good about writing back pretty quickly.

@jonnythan has the right info above, but I want to say that if it's an undergraduate course, it will be calculated in your post-bacc GPA, not graduate. Their going to know that an undergraduate course was not part of any graduate degree program.

For the record, I took a ton of undergraduate courses after my Bachelor's degree and while enrolled in a graduate degree program. I calculate them under post-bacc, not graduate on my own running GPA calculator.