GPA Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Will med schools consider the GPA of only science courses or does it include ENGL, MATH & Science courses?

2. I have done some courses (software programming) unrelated to pre med. Will the GPA for those also be considered?

Members don't see this ad.

1) BCPM--Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math

2) Yes. All courses ever taken will be included in the calculation of your overall GPA.

Will the overall GPA that includes the unrelated courses affect the chances of getting into med school? Say if my pre-med GPA is 3.8 but the overall is 3.0, which one will be considered by the med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you. this helps

Will the overall GPA that includes the unrelated courses affect the chances of getting into med school? Say if my pre-med GPA is 3.8 but the overall is 3.0, which one will be considered by the med schools?

Both GPAs are looked at. If by "pre-med GPA", you mean the 8 typical science pre-reqs. I will tell you that I got a 3.9 in them, but had a 3.2 overall GPA. Even with my 35 MCAT and a decent number of ECs and good LORs, I didn't even get an interview to my state school. Maybe someone else with similar stats has had better luck though.

Extra Curricular activities like flying kites, snow boarding, sleeping and fishing:D

you guys said ALL grades...
i graduated with a 3.8 my senior yr highschool but b4 then is not exactly near the top of the class or even the middle at one point is that gonna hurt me much.

Nothing on the Amcas primary requests info on high school grades to the best of my recollection, there is no requirement to send high school transcripts to Amcas (although all college transcripts are required)

There was some question about what one's SAT score was I think, this may have been on one school's secondary rather than on the Amcas primary. The question requested the SAT score if one remembered it. (I didn't)