GPA Cut-Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there exists such thing as a "cut-off" GPA for medical schools? Is there a GPA where when ADCOM's see it, they wont even consider the applicant? Where can I find this information? Thank you so much! Or where can I find the information about the stats of the students admitted to medical school? So I can see what the lowest GPA was that got accepted? Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Each medical school is different so the question really isn't as simple as you're making it out to be. You can visit each school's website, and they should have their average GPA somewhere on there, or get an MSAR which will have the 10 %-ile GPA and the average. That might be most helpful for you. I don't think there's a record of lowest GPA ever admitted anywhere though.

I doubt there's a set "cut-off," but I think that anything less than a 3.0 is a huge longshot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, some schools do have cut-offs but they aren't gonna advertise them. You'll do best to look at school with lower average GPAs or with 10 %-ile GPAs around yours if yours is truly that low.

The goal is to have at least a 3.5 when you apply though. So do your best to get to that.

lol... it's like "tell me the highest GPA that won't get me in, and I'll get just a little bit above that!"

Or.... What is the lethal dose of that painkiller? OK, give me a little less than that! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, if you're still in school, just try to do your very best and don't worry about what other's stats are/were. The higher, the better... Good Luck!! :thumbup:

I know my state school will not send the secondary without verifying that you have a certain MCAT score and a certain GPA. It is, as far as I know, a strict cut-off, regardless of other activities. That being said, it's not a particularly harsh cut-off (MCAT in the high 20s, I think).

The only official cutoff I've seen is at U of Miami:

"Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24."

Brown says 3.0 on one of its pages then 3.2-3.4 on another.

Be consistent! :p

The only official cutoff I've seen is at U of Miami:

"Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24."

Actually, this was last year. This year, anyone who applied got a secondary application. They did emphasize though that their average GPA and MCAT were certain scores ( think it was 3.7/32 but don't remember exactly).

This is what you are looking for: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

One person with a < 2.0 gpa and 15-17 MCAT got accepted to an MD school. Obviously whoever that was probably did some 5hit under the table...but yeah.

I don't understand how they got this data... Does this include multiple acceptances? Factor in wait-list acceptance? As far as I know, med-schools accept around 16,000 annually and the number here is 3 times as much. And I'm pretty sure applicant's don't have a 46.1% overall. Seems too easy.