GPA cutoffs in general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The highest cutoff I know of is NCSU with a 3.4 (for OOS applicants, at least). Most other schools are a 3.0 (though they specify you need higher to be competitive) and a few are 2.8 or so. I would continue to aim for that 3.5 because, as I said, that's more like what you'll need to be competitive against other applicants.
 
Colorado State does not have a cut off, I am not sure if any other school is like that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey 'flower,
If your current gpa is only from a single year's coursework, it shouldn't be too hard to get it to a 3.5 or higher. This will probably depend on how difficult you find the remaining prerequisites; if you are like me, there are some courses you can breeze through and get an A in and some that you will work your tail off for and still get a lower grade. On top of that, you should keep and eye out for the things that life can throw at you to make a semester or more idordinately hard to do well in. Here's a useful little tool you might want to look at: http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

Remember too that a lot of schools calculate your gpa score by looking at your overall gpa, your last 45 hour gpa, your prereq gpa. Look on the websites of the schools you want to apply to to get an idea of how they look at your gpa.

Good luck 🙂
 
How competitive that GPA will be depends on the school, the applicant pool that year, and what else you have going for you. Each school has a different way of calculating your standing - some look very heavily on grades, others look a bit more at experience and GRE scores. Your best bet is to research schools individually on this matter.
 
I got an OOS offer from Cornell with a 3.4 undergrad, but I had a fairly good GRE score, strong recommendations from some known people and a 4.0 in grad school. However even with that, I did not even get a sniff from my IS and at the time home school: CSU. My last 45 was a 3.86, my last 30 a 3.92.
 
Last edited:
Caninerepro: I guess what you're saying is that the application process is very random then? Ack, this makes me even more nervous. x_x Did you have a lot of experience? But thanks for replying! 🙂

Yes it is random, and often personality based. I had about 750 total clinical hours, some in all the major areas of vet med. But I also had about 10 years of full time professional animal experience. The places I got into I have a feeling were personality based, but I did also have some decent academics. As I mentioned, I did grad school first as well. Not to discourage, but there is a real, and perceived, difference between undergrad and graduate courses. More than you realize until you are thrown into them.

Hey you may want to check out the successful applicants thread from a few months ago, those of us that got in posted our stats so the next generation could see the WIDE spectrum of what worked. Good luck!🙂