GPA doesn't matter ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeoman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am one of those who is still waiting for my first interview.

GPA = 4.01
GPA w/0 = 3.89

TS= 19 (BIO=20, CHEM=19)
AA= 19 (RC= 17 :()
PAT=21
*Soap Carving= 13 (I assume american schools don't look at this)
(yes I am Canadian)

Extracurricular: Varsity Basketball Athlete, Den. Shaddow, Research

I submitted my Application in Aug 11, 2008.
It wasn't mailed out by AADSAS until Sep 9, 2008

I applied to: UDM, SUNY*, NYU, TUFTS, MARQ*, COLUM.
*= after review no decision made... will be looked at later agian.

Any hope of getting in this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am one of those who is still waiting for my first interview.

GPA = 4.01
GPA w/0 = 3.89

TS= 19 (BIO=20, CHEM=19)
AA= 19 (RC= 17 :()
PAT=21
*Soap Carving= 13 (I assume american schools don't look at this)
(yes I am Canadian)

Extracurricular: Varsity Basketball Athlete, Den. Shaddow, Research

I submitted my Application in Aug 11, 2008.
It wasn't mailed out by AADSAS until Sep 9, 2008

I applied to: UDM, SUNY*, NYU, TUFTS, MARQ*, COLUM.
*= after review no decision made... will be looked at later agian.

Any hope of getting in this year?

The problem is that you applied late.

Give it a little more time. I think one problem is that the GPA and DAT dont match. It doesnt add up, someone with such an awesome GPA should have much better than an average DAT. Also international tudents are held to higher standards than national students. Finally you applied to two Suny schools, one of which SBU has the highest (or second) standards in the country in terms of acceptance. Neither one really accepts out of state. You applied to Columbia which is IVY. NYU and Tufts ive it a little time. I dont know much about the other 2 schools.

Throw in the very late application and you knda have your answer. Give it some time and things may come along.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that you applied late.

I completely agree...as much as it sucks A LOT of schools care way more about timing than any stat you have...I have a 3.98 overall and 3.94 science got my stuff in Oct and it was too late for some schools because they had interviewed and already decided who they wanted in their spots by then.

oh no it matters

I'm still waiting to hear from schools with a 25 on the DAT because my undergrad is a 2.8 and my grad is a 3.85

timing, DAT, GPA, recs, extracur, essay - all has to come together in some magical formula that each school has.

Are your scores the Canadian DAT? Because a lot of schools won't accept that.

what does 4.01 translate to in a 4.0 grade point scale?

Are your scores the Canadian DAT? Because a lot of schools won't accept that.

I was just about to say that. Also, 19/19 is pretty average, if you have to take the US DAT, shoot for 20+.

And with a 4.0, why aren't you trying to get in Canadian schools? lol. carving holding you back?

The Canadian DAT is only offered 2wice a year (Feb/Nov, conveniently smack in the middle of midterms)

The DAT scores I gave above are from Feb, and I didn’t really study too hard for it, as I wanted to just see what the DAT is about. Then I decided to apply to some US schools just because there are only 2 dental schools in my province (state). So I ended up using the Feb DAT scores to apply.

As you can see I applied to only private schools (except UB), and schools close to the border… But right now I am waiting for my Nov DAT scores to come in (the Canadian DAT is not like the US, where u get the scores right after the test, it takes 6-8 weeks…)

So hopefully my Nov DAT scores (which should be higher:xf:) should reach the schools before 2009.

As for my GPA, for some reason it became a little higher when AADSAS calculated… It shows me GPA 4.01 (GPA w/o 3.89)…But I really thought some schools would invite me for interview at least. And (AA19, TS19, PAT 21) isn’t too bad… I think… And being a varsity basketball player I guess hasn’t helped my application :thumbdown:

BTW Most US schools accept Canadian DAT, but not vice versa.

Your scores are very good, it's because u applied late, but I think U stilll have a shot.

So there may be a chance for this year ...?

I think you'll definitely get into NYU and Tufts with your stats this year. GL!

So there may be a chance for this year ...?

Yeoman you are definitely gonna get in. You will get into canadian schools, even with those DAT scores. Why did you apply to American schools and not Canadian schools with those stats? What Canadian school do you go to?

misstoothfairy I applied to my state schools (Toronto and Western), any other state clearly says that we take ~90% in state applicants, so I didn't bother applying to them (plus application fee is like 300 bucks!!)... The 2 Canadian schools I applied to will let me know of interview sometime in Feb/March... And Oh, Western has a RC cut of of 18, so my 17 will not get me an interview...

So to increase my chances to get in somewhere I applied to US schools (mostly private) as a back up. Canada would definatly be my 1st option (mainly b/c I save $100,000 over 4 years !!!).

But US schools have keept me waiting so far... Buff. & Marq put me on hold, but still no interviews :confused: