GPA during senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trep14

MS1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how low a GPA a student has to get to have an M.D. school rescind an acceptance? I have already been accepted, but I have a feeling my GPA is going to be relatively low this semester. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how low a GPA a student has to get to have an M.D. school rescind an acceptance? I have already been accepted, but I have a feeling my GPA is going to be relatively low this semester. Any ideas?

There is not a set level, but i would say anything less than 1.0 GPA points under your cum gpa is going to send up red flags.

You got into med school - you're smart - you can get at least a 3.0 while still slacking off.

However, still do well your senior year.

It would depend upon the school, your GPA, the rest of your application, etc. I would aim to not let it drop by more than 0.1-0.2 or so if at all possible. That way, if it drops a bit further, you're still okay. If it drops more than ~0.5 or below 3.0, I'd expect to have some 'xplainin' to do. Remember that the most important part of a journey is the end. If you finish weak, it's going to raise eyebrows. Even if they don't rescind your acceptance, finishing weak is not a pattern you want to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend who got into a pretty competitive program last year drop from a 3.7 to a 3.5 and I don't think she got questioned...but I still would not recommend doing that.

Just to clarify, I currently have a 3.9ish cumulative and I'm talking about getting around a 3.5 or so for a semester.

Last edited:
on a semi-related note

some schools don't send out acceptances until january or february
do they expect 1st semester senior year grades?