Gpa (engineering courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrkndply

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i started my first year of college as an engineering major. I took Chemistry and Physics for Engineers that year, which consisted of one semester of condensed chemistry and one semester of Physics. I received a C- and D (i was not focused at the time). Anyway, i ended up switching to a Biology major and gained interest in taking the medicine track. Ever since then i have excelled in all classes but i have also retaken chemistry and physics which were both the normal one year courses with an A+.

My questions is, will this grade be averaged into my previous C-? Or will these classes be looked at as two different courses since my first one focused on topics essential for engineering?

In other words how will my engineering grade me incorporated into my GPA when applying to medical schools?

Also will all my other engineering courses be incorporated into my science GPA or will it depend on the nature of the class.
Thank You.
J

Members don't see this ad.

All your undergrad courses, regardless of whether you took them as an engineering major or as a bio major, will count towards your GPA.

If the retaken chemistry and physics are the same exact courses that you took before, yes they'll be averaged with the previous grades. If not, they'll be seen as separate courses.

Engineering courses vary regarding whether or not they'll count towards your science GPA. In general, they don't count, but if they're biologically oriented, they may fly.

thanks for the reply,
the engineering course title was: GenChemEng 151, Compared to Chem 103 and 104 which i took later. The content of both chem 103 and chem 104 was touched on in my ChemEng, so would only one of those be averaged in or all three?

Members don't see this ad :)
All three would be averaged in.

But, AMCAS breaks the score down by semester...so it will be very obvious that you had a very strong upward trend, which is a very good thing.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a rocky start...its far better than a rough finish.

All three will be averaged in. Whether or not GenChemEng counts as part of your BCPM GPA or not is partly up to you and partly up to AMCAS.

Looking back, I should have included my Bioengineering courses as Biology on the AMCAS, being that they are mostly biology-based. It would have raised my science GPA from 3.3 to 3.8. Oh well...

Looking back, I should have included my Bioengineering courses as Biology on the AMCAS, being that they are mostly biology-based. It would have raised my science GPA from 3.3 to 3.8. Oh well...

I should've done the same.

Hi, i started my first year of college as an engineering major. I took Chemistry and Physics for Engineers that year, which consisted of one semester of condensed chemistry and one semester of Physics. I received a C- and D (i was not focused at the time). Anyway, i ended up switching to a Biology major and gained interest in taking the medicine track. Ever since then i have excelled in all classes but i have also retaken chemistry and physics which were both the normal one year courses with an A+.

My questions is, will this grade be averaged into my previous C-? Or will these classes be looked at as two different courses since my first one focused on topics essential for engineering?

In other words how will my engineering grade me incorporated into my GPA when applying to medical schools?

Also will all my other engineering courses be incorporated into my science GPA or will it depend on the nature of the class.
Thank You.
J

Engineering courses, just like every other course, count into your GPA, but they are not part of your BCPM (science) GPA. Now your physics is part of BCPM because many of us have taken that course - it says on the cover it is for Engineers and Scientists. It doesn't qualify as an engineering course. On the other hand, if you took Chemical Engineering, then it is not part of your BCPM. For a complete list, look here.

Engineering courses, just like every other course, count into your GPA, but they are not part of your BCPM (science) GPA. Now your physics is part of BCPM because many of us have taken that course - it says on the cover it is for Engineers and Scientists. It doesn't qualify as an engineering course. On the other hand, if you took Chemical Engineering, then it is not part of your BCPM. For a complete list, look here.

It's often not that straightforward. The course content designations on AMCAS are based on course content, not department. A biology heavy engineering course can absolutely be included in your BCPM. The difficulty arises in determining which engineering courses these are.

It's often not that straightforward. The course content designations on AMCAS are based on course content, not department. A biology heavy engineering course can absolutely be included in your BCPM. The difficulty arises in determining which engineering courses these are.

I think that if your course is chemical engineering, which is right off that list, then it is clear. As a conclusion to the thread to which I provided the link, it seems to be a good idea that when you're in doubt, you can always put something BCPM if it will help you. AMCAS will take it off if you're wrong. Nothing to lose here, unless that will delay the verification of your application.

I think that if your course is chemical engineering, which is right off that list, then it is clear. As a conclusion to the thread to which I provided the link, it seems to be a good idea that when you're in doubt, you can always put something BCPM if it will help you. AMCAS will take it off if you're wrong. Nothing to lose here, unless that will delay the verification of your application.

I totally agree with you. You have nothing to lose by designating a class as BCPM that might not be. The vast majority of engineering course (that aren't biomedical) are not going to count, but if you think it might fly, go ahead and list it.

On your AMCAS it will show up as 2 classes.

However, does it matter?

Your gpa is "grade point average". So it doesnt matter if you have a C- and an A or just one grade.