gpa factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Od_IT

Salus (PCO) 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My most basic problem is my gpa. I'm really hesitant on sending my aps in. here is my situation:

I currently have a very low 2.5 gpa in biology, which is kicking my ass. I scored a 320 on my oat. I plan to retake it. I have commendable letters of recommendation , shadowing experience, volunteer work, vice-president/webdesigner of a sports club, and Co-mentioning on published cancer articles. I also work part time at a local hospital for two doctors dealing with cancer projects/research.

i have considered in a post-bac program for my lack of gpa.

any information will be helpful and appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

what mba program will take a gpa of 2.5?

still_confused said:
what mba program will take a gpa of 2.5?

i dont know...

a very high gmat can compensate for low gpa from what i heard, but if i am wrong go ahead and correct me.

anyways, is it possible to attend Community college to build a decent gpa and then apply to optometry school?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was considering post-bac program since my gpa is too low.

any information will be appreciated.

Od_IT said:
i was considering post-bac program since my gpa is too low.

any information will be appreciated.

Retake all the classes that you didn't get a B or higher on. A lot of schools replace the lowest grade with the highest grade. Try to take them at a 4 year university. Best thing is to call the schools and ask for their advice.

Od_IT said:
My most basic problem is my gpa. I'm really hesitant on sending my aps in. here is my situation:

I currently have a very low 2.5 gpa in biology, which is kicking my ass. I scored a 320 on my oat. I plan to retake it. I have commendable letters of recommendation , shadowing experience, volunteer work, vice-president/webdesigner of a sports club, and Co-mentioning on published cancer articles. I also work part time at a local hospital for two doctors dealing with cancer projects/research.

i have considered in a post-bac program for my lack of gpa.

any information will be helpful and appreciated. thanks.

2.5 is far too low. 320 is not that bad but its not nearly enough to compensate for a 2.5. (I'm not even sure a 400 would)

Rather than focusing on retaking the OAT, I would concentrate on retaking classes in which you did not receive at least a B, as another poster has suggested.

What undergrad do you go to? If it's competitive, that MIGHT help. Someone from my school got in with a 2.6 a couple years back. My school is somewhat on the competitive end (UCSD) though. Also, they probably rocked the OAT.

My school doesn't allow retakes for C's, so if your school is like mine, then try and take a few easier classes to help compensate. If you have a D or F then definitly retake.

KHE said:
2.5 is far too low. 320 is not that bad but its not nearly enough to compensate for a 2.5. (I'm not even sure a 400 would)

Rather than focusing on retaking the OAT, I would concentrate on retaking classes in which you did not receive at least a B, as another poster has suggested.