GPA for Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a junior, biology major, as a pretty well-known University. I am going to be applying to optometry schools this summer & had some questions regarding GPA's, as I am slightly worried about mine. I didn't do too well my freshman year, as my science classes were weed-out classes. My freshman year GPA was 3.072. However, I did a lot better my sophomore & junior years. My sophomore GPA was a 3.7; my fall semester junior year GPA was 3.712. Therefore, my freshman year GPA has really brought my overall GPA down, as my overall GPA is a 3.433. I was wondering if optometry schools will take into consideration my upward trend in grades moreso than my overall GPA? SUNY is my top choice btw. Other schools I am applying to are: PCO, MCPHS, NECO, and Nova.

Can anyone tell me what they think my chances of getting into optometry would be considering my GPA (especially to SUNY)?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think so your GPA is pretty good. They honestly look at your OAT score. So from my mistakes my biggest advice is APPLY EARLY and take your exam early. Wish you the best of luck! I am on the same boat as you but this is the advice I got from the doctors I work for and current students. I have the same GPA as you and from the best school in my state. For me at least my OAT score is my biggest challenge ATM. So take practice exams and study.

Thanks! Yes, I have heard that the biggest advantage is applying early. I scheduled to take my OAT in August, but I was told that you can send in the Optomcas application before you have your OAT scores?
Also, do you know exactly what is considered applying early? I know that most schools' application cycles start July 1st. So basically July-August would be considered early? Thanks!

I think your GPA falls somewhere between average to competitive. If you do your best to get a 3.7-4.0 again this semester, it would look really good on your application because schools do look at your upwards trend in grades but it would also boost your GPA to about a 3.5

Yes, you can submit your OptomCAS application before you even take your OAT scores, as long as the schools you're applying to get the scores before a certain date, which is determined by the respective schools. Applying early would be July-August, so if you start your personal statements/essays now, you would definitely be able to get your application submitted early and also have time to study for your OAT over the summer :)