gpa for postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

essence1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in applying to medical school. However I am worried my undergrad GPA may be too low for the postbacc programs i'm interested in applying to:

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR OPINION, CAN USE THE SUPPORT!!

Target programs:
-Bryn Mawr
-UPenn
-JHU
-Goucher
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple

Expereince:

-1 year AmeriCorps as a health coordinator
-over 6 years volunteer experience in hospital setting
-Red Cross volunteer
-currently full time employee in clinical research
-past expereince interning in pediatric clinical research (2015)
-Howard Hughes Medical Intern Scholar
-3 years of behavioral neuroscience and cognitive psychology research in undergrad

School:
-3.3 undergrad small state school
-3.6 so far in MPH at ivy league (1 more year left in program)
-GRE scores are low
-exec board for the graduatepublic health group
-full time employee in clinical research

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this year as well! So first of all want to wish you good luck :) GPA wise it does seem a bit low from the research I've done but you have a lot of good experience and the upward trend from the undergrad to MPH GPA is beneficial. I wouldn't worry about GRE but how do your ACT/SATs look? A lot of the programs look at those test scores as opposed to GRE

Agreed. We have similar school lists! I think you should focus on SAT/ACT score and GPA as well, especially because programs like Temple's BCSM have certain requirements, including:
  • Cumulative GPA of 3.6 on a 4.0 scale with no single grade less than a B-.
  • Science GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics (BCPM) departments) with no single grade less than a B-.
  • The required cumulative SAT score is 1400 out of 1600 points (combined Critical Reading and Math sections), with no section less than 650.
You also have a ton of good experience, so hopefully programs like BM factor that in. Good luck!