gpa for postbac

Started by essence1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

essence1

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am interested in applying to medical school. However I am worried my undergrad GPA may be too low for the postbacc programs i'm interested in applying to:

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR OPINION, CAN USE THE SUPPORT!!

Target programs:
-Bryn Mawr
-UPenn
-JHU
-Goucher
-Thomas Jefferson
-Temple


Expereince:

-1 year AmeriCorps as a health coordinator
-over 6 years volunteer experience in hospital setting
-Red Cross volunteer
-currently full time employee in clinical research
-past expereince interning in pediatric clinical research (2015)
-Howard Hughes Medical Intern Scholar
-3 years of behavioral neuroscience and cognitive psychology research in undergrad


School:
-3.3 undergrad small state school
-3.6 so far in MPH at ivy league (1 more year left in program)
-GRE scores are low
-exec board for the graduatepublic health group
-full time employee in clinical research
 
I'm applying this year as well! So first of all want to wish you good luck 🙂 GPA wise it does seem a bit low from the research I've done but you have a lot of good experience and the upward trend from the undergrad to MPH GPA is beneficial. I wouldn't worry about GRE but how do your ACT/SATs look? A lot of the programs look at those test scores as opposed to GRE
 
Agreed. We have similar school lists! I think you should focus on SAT/ACT score and GPA as well, especially because programs like Temple's BCSM have certain requirements, including:
  • Cumulative GPA of 3.6 on a 4.0 scale with no single grade less than a B-.
  • Science GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics (BCPM) departments) with no single grade less than a B-.
  • The required cumulative SAT score is 1400 out of 1600 points (combined Critical Reading and Math sections), with no section less than 650.
You also have a ton of good experience, so hopefully programs like BM factor that in. Good luck!