GPA/grad school style question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Darkstar25

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I just joined SDN and was instantly hooked. One thread regarding Undergrad GPA's and post-grad classes got me especially interested. Here's my situation in terms that are related to the question: I had a 3.0 cumulative gpa (3.26 science) that was mainly due to a really bad freshman year. I have been doing research in a lab at UMD SOM for ~2 years and am halfway finished with a Masters in Biotechnology from Johns Hopkins. I've taken biochem, two advanced cell bio courses, molecular and will take immunology, virology and other strictly science-based courses to finish the degree (they offer business-style courses for those who want to pursue biotech in that way). I have a 4.0 so far. In undergrad I got C's in gen chem (freshman year). Is this something that I should consider re-taking before applying to both DO and MD schools? Obviously in terms of the MCAT this would help, but I guess I'm more interested now in how that would look to admissions as well as what it would do for my GPA. Any comments regarding this would be grately appreciated.
 
My understanding is that for DO it'll definitely help because they'll use your new grades instead of the old grades for calculating your GPA. (This is second-hand, but I've heard it a whole lot around these boards.)

For MD, don't bother. You can always take different undergrad-level classes that you're interested in, but it'll take a fair few to raise your GPA, so do it slowly and methodically if at all. There's no advantage to repeating the same ones.

Hey guys,

I just joined SDN and was instantly hooked. One thread regarding Undergrad GPA's and post-grad classes got me especially interested. Here's my situation in terms that are related to the question: I had a 3.0 cumulative gpa (3.26 science) that was mainly due to a really bad freshman year. I have been doing research in a lab at UMD SOM for ~2 years and am halfway finished with a Masters in Biotechnology from Johns Hopkins. I've taken biochem, two advanced cell bio courses, molecular and will take immunology, virology and other strictly science-based courses to finish the degree (they offer business-style courses for those who want to pursue biotech in that way). I have a 4.0 so far. In undergrad I got C's in gen chem (freshman year). Is this something that I should consider re-taking before applying to both DO and MD schools? Obviously in terms of the MCAT this would help, but I guess I'm more interested now in how that would look to admissions as well as what it would do for my GPA. Any comments regarding this would be grately appreciated.