GPA help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachieh13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of the schools I'm applying to is not on the PTCAS website and on one of the papers for the application it asks overall GPA. I know what my GPA was from undergrad (it was awful 2.73) but I have taken 8 classes since then, 5 were classes that I had to take because I never fulfilled the prereq requirement, and the other 3 were classes I decided to retake to boost my GPA. (I am actually taking 2 of those classes right now, and doing very well in them, they will be complete in December.) I have 3 different colleges I have attended and therefore 3 different transcripts and no way of knowing what my overall GPA is. I entered everything into PTCAS but it seems extremely low as an overall GPA and my undergrad GPA doesn't even match with PTCAS. Is there a way of calculating this myself or should I maybe just email someone from the college to see if there is a better way of dealing with this. I have worked so hard for the last year to boost my GPA and I think it should be where it needs to be, FINALLY. I just don't want to be overlooked when they review applications because I put my GPA on a paper and it is lower than the actual GPA when everything is calculated together.

I also have another problem so I figured I might as well combine these into one post....

This is the second time I am applying. My stats are as follows:
Undergrad cumulative GPA: 2.73
Classes since undergrad 3.4 (this does not include the 2 I am currently taking and getting an A and a B in at the moment)
I have worked as a Physical Therapy Tech for almost 2 years in an outpatient facility. I also have experience in the hospital setting.

I have sent my apps in and I am scared I won't get in again. I am 24 years old (not that I'm old) but how much longer do I put time and money into this before I figure out other avenues? I know this is a question that only I can answer myself but I am so stressed out. I know this is what I want to do and what I've wanted to do since I was 14. But a part of me says, "well maybe you have had tunnel vision all these years and never opened your eyes to other options" What if there is another career out there for me and I don't even know it.

I guess what I'm looking for is words of wisdom. I have to keep taking out more loan money to take these classes and I'm already paying back student loans. I guess I'm just sick of not making great money (although it is great experience) because with my bachelor's in exercise science I can't do a whole lot more than what I am doing. If I don't get in this year do I just go for PTA instead? Do I wait another year and re-apply and hold off my life (marriage and children) for yet another year?

Has anyone else had these thoughts/feelings and would like to share with me what they have done?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your last 60/90 units GPA? Have you taken the GRE?

Yes I have taken the GRE's twice, the first time it was a V: 138 Q: 142 and A: 3.0 and the second time I took them I got a V: 144 Q 145 and A: 3.0

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by the last 60/90 units GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have taken the GRE's twice, the first time it was a V: 138 Q: 142 and A: 3.0 and the second time I took them I got a V: 144 Q 145 and A: 3.0

what this means is what is your GPA for just the last 60 or last 90 credits you took? There are some dpt programs that will just look at your GPA for just your last 45, 60, or 90 credits. This GPA won't include grades in classes that you took at the very beginning of college. So if this GPA is much better than your overall GPA (all credits), it might be worth looking into these schools.
University of St. Augustine is one of these schools that I know. I can't remember the others, but there are quite a few so maybe other people on this board can name some other schools too.

Hmmm... Your scores are quite low. How were you studying for these exams? Those scores alone will not make the cutoffs of most if not all schools that require/look at any portion or all of your GRE scores.

I recommend researching schools that do not take the GRE and schools that look at the last 60/90 units you took if you have a 3.0 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. Even so, your chances will be less than most applicants.

You can also retake the GRE. But, you will need to study, study, study. Shoot for 150/150, 4.0 at the least. It can greatly offset that GPA of yours.

I also recommend that you think long and hard about if PT is for you and to have a backup plan. In my own experience, it's not only about getting into PT school, it's about staying in PT school. I am concerned because your GPA combined with your GRE tells me that you may not be ready for the rigors of PT school. I would like you to prove me wrong.