dentalbug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status
Dentist
Hello All....

First of all, Thanks to all the SDNers for their support. I have been fortunate to get guidance from plethora of SDNers, and specially my hubby. I am grateful for this.

I wanted to share the following:

Many schools consider International GPA (mostly by ECE) a gold standard, GPA is the only stat on one's application that can NOT be changed.

My Stats:

ECE GPA: 2.83, WES GPA: 3.45, Part I: 87, Part II:77, TOEFL: 99, FL DH lic (by exmination)

Dental School: UIC - Class of 2010 - Almost done :)

I have always been a good student, went to a government/state school in my home country, where competition was great and good clinical experience, but grading system was strict/conservative, which is reflected in my ECE GPA.

MY Board Exam/Current GPA Stats:

GPA: 3.45 (not final yet), NERB DSCE Exam Score: 90
NERB Endo: 100, NERB Pros: 98, NERB Perio: 100, NERB Resto: 95
(All Board Exam Scores were attained on the 1st try)

I was told by few schools (some even during interview) that my GPA was too low. I was not given a chance for an interview by few schools because of the GPA requirement.

As you can see, the proof is in the pudding, obviously out of all of my stats, only ECE GPA shows me as a poor student, but All I needed was a chance to prove that I can perform well in dental school. I was given that chance by UIC, I am very thankful to them.

Hope this helps those with low GPA....(I am aware that not ALL schools look at GPA that strongly, but I am trying to emphasize the fact that may be international GPA should not be weighted as much as it is right now).

One Journey Is Almost Over, Another Begins.... :)

** The above statements are entirely my opinion, they are NOT the opinion/policy of any dental school.

Dentalbug

yahoo31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2006
Status
Non-Student
thank you very much for sharing that with us, dentalbug.

Jan 26, 2010
Status
Dental Student
hello , im an internatioanl dentist and got a gpa of my orginal forgein school transcrpit of 2.4 and wes gpa of 2.39 and i didnt do ece evalaution but will be same i guess . just wanted to know will i stand any chance in dental schools with my gpa . need serioues help on how to overcome that low gpa and what r my chances and would i be able to apply to MPH by my gpa ...real thx to all who will place an effort in helping me out

Jan 26, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hello All....

First of all, Thanks to all the SDNers for their support. I have been fortunate to get guidance from plethora of SDNers, and specially my hubby. I am grateful for this.

Many schools consider International GPA (mostly by ECE) a gold standard, GPA is the only stat on one's application that can NOT be changed.

My Stats:

ECE GPA: 2.83, WES GPA: 3.45, Part I: 87, Part II:77, TOEFL: 99, FL DH lic (by exmination)

I have always been a good student, went to a government/state school in my home country, where competition was great and good clinical experience, but grading system was strict/conservative, which is reflected in my ECE GPA.

I was told by few schools (some even during interview) that my GPA was too low. I was not given a chance for an interview by few schools because of the GPA requirement.

As you can see, the proof is in the pudding, obviously out of all of my stats, only ECE GPA shows me as a poor student, but All I needed was a chance to prove that I can perform well in dental school. I was given that chance by UIC, I am very thankful to them.

Hope this helps those with low GPA....(I am aware that not ALL schools look at GPA that strongly, but I am trying to emphasize the fact that may be international GPA should not be weighted as much as it is right now).

** The above statements are entirely my opinion, they are NOT the opinion/policy of any dental school.

Dentalbug
hello, just would liek to ask u does UIC look up to wes evaluation already or they just take ece one or we apply both or just apply ece one and i got wes gpa same as my forgein gpa 2.4 and want to know do i have any chance

rose82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2007
Status
hello, just would liek to ask u does UIC look up to wes evaluation already or they just take ece one or we apply both or just apply ece one and i got wes gpa same as my forgein gpa 2.4 and want to know do i have any chance
UIC takes only ece.

@dentalbug...Thank you for your post.I see that you are one of the very few enrolled students who constantly tries to encourage students on the other side of the river.May God be with you always in whatever you do!

P

pandu

Hello All....

My Stats:

Dentalbug
Wonderful post Dentalbug.

I totally agree to every word that you said, since I am in an absolutely similar situation with similar stats. It is encouraging to know that UIC is not one of those GPA schools and doesn't base their judgement on that; BUT doesn't UIC only accept Green Card holders?

Jan 26, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Wonderful post Dentalbug.

I totally agree to every word that you said, since I am in an absolutely similar situation with similar stats. It is encouraging to know that UIC is not one of those GPA schools and doesn't base their judgement on that; BUT doesn't UIC only accept Green Card holders?
hello pandu what's ur status bec im worried too bec got wes 2.39 and ece i guess will be around 2.4

yahoo31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Hello All....

your post is encouraging ,dentalbug. so what are your plans after graduation? are u going to stay and work in Chicago or move someplace else? good luck !

Jan 26, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hi Shater,

My ECE Gpa is 2.88, WES Gpa is 3.42, NBDE 1 is 87 and TOEFL is 114. But I don't think our WES Gpa matters much because almost every University asks for ECE only nowadays. I even have a Masters in Public Health (graduated in December). But my ECE Gpa haunts the fate of my application. Strange!!! But true!!
hello pandu ,as u done ur mph and im so intersted in doing mph to improve my low gpa but wanted to ask do u think i got any chances to join to mph with my 2.4 gpa ....does gpa matter in process of joining mph program and wanted ask u what is ur gpa in ur forgein transcrpit bec wes gave me same gpa as my forgein transcrpit gpa ?. i value much ur advice. thx in advc

Last edited:
P

pandu

hello pandu ,as u done ur mph and im so intersted in doing mph to improve my low gpa but wanted to ask do u think i got any chances to join to mph with my 2.4 gpa ....does gpa matter in process of joining mph program and wanted ask u what is ur gpa in ur forgein transcrpit bec wes gave me same gpa as my forgein transcrpit gpa ?. i value much ur advice. thx in advc
Hi Shater,
I can understand your anxiety, but freaking out at this point is not going to help much. Think with a clear mind.
Firstly, is it MPH or Dentistry that you want to get into?
If it is Dentistry that you want to get into ultimately, and want to join MPH just to improve your GPA, I think you should give a good try and give the NBDE first. An excellent score overrides a lot of things.

Anyways, if it is MPH, that you are interested in, there are some schools where they might overlook the GPA factor for admission, provided you have an impressive application (this complication is only for Accredited Public Health Programs; it may be easier to get into non-accredited programs. I am not very sure; you might have to research that ).

As for my foreign transcript we do not have anything called a GPA in India. We just have a percentage. I had to get my GPA done from WES and ECE.

Hope I have answerd your questions.

Jan 26, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hi Shater,
I can understand your anxiety, but freaking out at this point is not going to help much. Think with a clear mind.
Firstly, is it MPH or Dentistry that you want to get into?
If it is Dentistry that you want to get into ultimately, and want to join MPH just to improve your GPA, I think you should give a good try and give the NBDE first. An excellent score overrides a lot of things.

Anyways, if it is MPH, that you are interested in, there are some schools where they might overlook the GPA factor for admission, provided you have an impressive application (this complication is only for Accredited Public Health Programs; it may be easier to get into non-accredited programs. I am not very sure; you might have to research that ).

As for my foreign transcript we do not have anything called a GPA in India. We just have a percentage. I had to get my GPA done from WES and ECE.

Hope I have answerd your questions.
hello pandu, thx for ur reply and i though of doing mph it's to overcome my low gpa and do well in part 1 before i apply to dental school and the thing worry me that i may not have a chance to join mph with my low gpa , that's why i want to know my chances in doing such mph and for ur forgein transcrpit thx for makeing things clear upon ur system in india but if u dont mind may i ask u what is ur overall percentage in ur forgin transcrpit. real thx for ur coperations

dentalbug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status
Dentist
I will not be in IL after may. I plan on moving back to MI. My future plans are to start working in general dentistry, and go from there.

I will keep in touch with this site and try to help out those that need it.

I would say the key to any success in life is persistantance. I feel that not giving up until you succeed is the only way one can reach his/her goals.

Once Winston Churchill said "Never Never Never Never Give Up"

Hope this helps, and may god bless you all.

Dentalbug

Jan 28, 2010
Status
Dentist
hello dental bug,
Is any research experience help to improve resume and to hide medium GPA criteria? Also does it help to get admission in dental school?

Jan 14, 2010
Status
hello dental bug,
Is any research experience help to improve resume and to hide medium GPA criteria? Also does it help to get admission in dental school?
I have the same question wht kind of research experince we can do improve our resume and where can we find it ?( just in a dental school or elsewhere)

Jan 26, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hello All....

My Stats:

Dentalbug
hello, dentalbug i just wanted to ask as i know that uic accept ece gpa but my question is by the time u appied to uic did u apply with wes gpa or ece gpa or both ? a real thx for ur clear detail upon that

dentalbug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status
Dentist
I applied to UIC with WES at the time, but they changed it recently to ECE. I was also a re-applicant to UIC and had other things like FL DH license and dental assistant/observership.

I dont know if research helps, it dont think it will hurt

Good Luck

Dentalbug

dentalbug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status
Dentist
I have the same question wht kind of research experince we can do improve our resume and where can we find it ?( just in a dental school or elsewhere)
I would say try to work as a dental assistant or hygienist that helps more then research.

i went to GDCH as well. what year you graduated?

dentalbug

shibab

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I will not be in IL after may. I plan on moving back to MI. My future plans are to start working in general dentistry, and go from there.

I will keep in touch with this site and try to help out those that need it.

I would say the key to any success in life is persistantance. I feel that not giving up until you succeed is the only way one can reach his/her goals.

Once Winston Churchill said "Never Never Never Never Give Up"

Hope this helps, and may god bless you all.

Dentalbug

thanks dental bug for all those encouraging words n wish u all the best for u r future..

Mar 25, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hey dental bug

Can you tell us how to join as DA/DH.....I believe they require some licensure rt?? Plz guide..

Aug 9, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Hi all,

I have a low ECE GPA of 2.34 and WES GPA of 3.48. I'm not sure why there is such a huge discrepancy here. I have done my Masters in Public Health (GPA:3.87). I'm giving my NBDE 1 and 2 this year and will be applying to schools thereafter. I have MPH academic research papers/projects relating to dental professional shortage areas, tooth loss in diabetics, and oral health disparities in african american children. How are my chances to get thru if I get a good NBDE score? Also, in my resume and conversations with the faculty or PD at the school shud I mention my WES GPA too? Or shud I have an explanation ready for my low ECE GPA, or both?

I would really like to hear good views and insights!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

cfar83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Dentist
I have an ECE GPA of 2.94
is it bad? low? average? :(

This can be so confusing.. gosh

Sep 20, 2012
Status
Dentist
Thank you for sharing nice post..

Hello All....

My Stats:

Dentalbug

Oct 29, 2017
Status
Dental Student
I have a ECE gap:3.58 pass NBDE part1 and 2. Which school do you recommend? No TOFEL yet. But almost 4 years away from the dental clinics stuff. What should I DO?

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
I have a ECE gap:3.58 pass NBDE part1 and 2. Which school do you recommend? No TOFEL yet. But almost 4 years away from the dental clinics stuff. What should I DO?
List of schools with requirements is on the adea website under caapid.
Get above a 100 on toefl and apply