GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Here is another paranoid GPA question as we approach finals time. So as of now I have a 4.0 gpa and am a Junior...but am at risk to get a B this semester. It'll be a close call..anyways

I was wondering if applying with a 3.97 gpa would look any different than applying with a 4.0..it just seems like it'd look a lot better to have that perfect 4.0 :(

Members don't see this ad.

Here is another paranoid GPA question as we approach finals time. So as of now I have a 4.0 gpa and am a Junior...but am at risk to get a B this semester. It'll be a close call..anyways

I was wondering if applying with a 3.97 gpa would look any different than applying with a 4.0..it just seems like it'd look a lot better to have that perfect 4.0 :(

Troll, anyone?

Troll, anyone?

No...I'm a perfectionist but not a troll.

Seriously...they weight your grades at some schools so junior year counts as HALF of your gpa. For example the university of washington does it...so a B during your junior year can be very damaging

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh dear lord, you're about to get flamed...:corny:

... and the sadder part is that I actually believe this is a serious question. So let me just answer you with the "no" that you knew was coming; LizzyM said a while back that some adcoms actually like to see a person with a stray B here or there, just to prove they are human.

But seriously, I can't feel too bad for the severe flaming you're about to receive. Coming onto a board where you have a higher GPA than roughly 97% of the population (even after the B) does come off a bit pretentious.

Oh dear lord, you're about to get flamed...:corny:

... and the sadder part is that I actually believe this is a serious question. So let me just answer you with the "no" that you knew was coming; LizzyM said a while back that some adcoms actually like to see a person with a stray B here or there, just to prove they are human.

But seriously, I can't feel too bad for the severe flaming you're about to receive. Coming onto a board where you have a higher GPA than roughly 97% of the population (even after the B) does come off a bit pretentious.

lol I do deserve some flaming I can agree :D But I see kids at my school apply with 3.8+ gpa's and 33+ mcat's only to get denied from all MD schools...and it's been messing with my head; makes me wonder if you really DO have to be perfect to get in. Perhaps they didn't have any ec's or came off in the wrong way during an interview. In reality I guess getting a B won't hurt anything except maybe your pride...and thats a really good point about a B making you look human. Sorry for the question...when I reread it I look like a complete prick LOL

Troll, anyone?

I just saw that YOU sir have a 4.0! Congrats- thats an amazing thing to achieve . While I understand why you might have thought I was a troll, can't you relate a LITTLE bit to my situation since you have a perfect gpa?

You will be fine. Like what they said above, a B here and there makes you look human. Those others that got denied, they could have applied late, bad PS, bad rec letters, came off bad in interviews, not enough ecs or clinicals, bad luck, it could be a number of things.

lol I do deserve some flaming I can agree :D But I see kids at my school apply with 3.8+ gpa's and 33+ mcat's only to get denied from all MD schools...and it's been messing with my head; makes me wonder if you really DO have to be perfect to get in. Perhaps they didn't have any ec's or came off in the wrong way during an interview. In reality I guess getting a B won't hurt anything except maybe your pride...and thats a really good point about a B making you look human. Sorry for the question...when I reread it I look like a complete prick LOL

Hehe it's ok, we all have those irrational premed moments :) In all seriousness, with your GPA, I'd worry more about making sure you've got your other bases covered, like clinical experience and studying for the MCAT; it's certainly possible that your friends could be denied if they don't have any clinical experience, or if they just applied to top 15 schools, or something like that. Don't let your awesome stats go to waste just because you couldn't find a couple hours a week to volunteer at a hospital.

Hehe it's ok, we all have those irrational premed moments :) In all seriousness, with your GPA, I'd worry more about making sure you've got your other bases covered, like clinical experience and studying for the MCAT; it's certainly possible that your friends could be denied if they don't have any clinical experience, or if they just applied to top 15 schools, or something like that. Don't let your awesome stats go to waste just because you couldn't find a couple hours a week to volunteer at a hospital.

Yeah I think you nailed it here! A lot of my friends only applied to top private schools and had no research or clinical stuff. I really have been spending a lot of time on research/volunteering/shadowing lately, as well as TA'ing bio class and leadership type stuff- I realize GPA doesn't mean much without a strong background in the other stuff. And coming from Alaska, my MCAT might even be more important, as a weak MCAT with a strong GPA could suggest that my school is too easy.

Just want to say thanks for the tips and hearing me through my annoying pre-med rant!! :D

You will be fine. Like what they said above, a B here and there makes you look human. Those others that got denied, they could have applied late, bad PS, bad rec letters, came off bad in interviews, not enough ecs or clinicals, bad luck, it could be a number of things.

Yeah you make a lot of good points! They all took their MCAT's around july and didn't send in their primaries til mid August...do you think that could really hurt one's chances? Or is that still early enough?

I'd be more concerned about finding a suit to fit that torso of yours come interview time. Jesus H.

I'd be more concerned about finding a suit to fit that torso of yours come interview time. Jesus H.

LOL! Thanks that comment made me smile haha. I had to go to the tailor to get custom suit actually lol.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh man, I wish that was the biggest problem I had in my application process!

Also OP, I'm glad to hear you've got other ECs; just remember too much clinical experience is never enough :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh man, I wish that was the biggest problem I had in my application process!

Also OP, I'm glad to hear you've got other ECs; just remember too much clinical experience is never enough :)

Yeah- as much as like the volunteering and shadowing, I'd really like to work in the hospital. People tell me I should just be on the lift team since I work out so much :D lol! Maybe I'll find some time to get my EMT over the summer or something..we'll see!

Also GoSpurs, congrats on getting into Baylor! That's a great school..must have felt so good to get those first acceptances :) I'm thinking of trying for Baylor if I can get a 33+ on MCAT. How'd you like it there in Waco?

Also GoSpurs, congrats on getting into Baylor! That's a great school..must have felt so good to get those first acceptances :) I'm thinking of trying for Baylor if I can get a 33+ on MCAT. How'd you like it there in Waco?

O_O

Baylor, the undergrad, is in Waco; Baylor, the medical school, is in Houston, and never the twain shall meet. The two are in no way affiliated. Common misconception :) In fact, the med school is currently thinking of merging with Rice.

And Baylor is an absolutely INCREDIBLE school! I can't recommend it highly enough; between being in the Texas Medical Center to the condensed preclinical curriculum (they do the basic science classes in 1.5 years rather than 2 years to give students an extra half-year of clinical exposure), I loved everything about Baylor. There's only one school I could hear from that might make me consider not going there, and that's UT Southwestern, where I've done some research in undergrad. But definitely, if you get that high MCAT, I strongly recommend Baylor to anyone :)

I just saw that YOU sir have a 4.0! Congrats- thats an amazing thing to achieve . While I understand why you might have thought I was a troll, can't you relate a LITTLE bit to my situation since you have a perfect gpa?

It is true I have a 4.0, and will graduate this term with a 4.0..that being said, I would have been slightly upset to not get all As since I've done so well so far....BUT, I know that if I had had a B, it would not have hindered my chances at getting my acceptances.

So, I understand if you would be upset...but don't try to suggest that schools will care...the absolutely will not. That B is not going to be damaging.

:boom:

roflcopter.gif

.....dude you are ballin it up even with your one B.