***GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if medical school look at the school that you attend when considering your GPA. For example, if you went to Cornell, the average gpa for science classes could be a 2.3 but if you went to a state school, the average gpa could be a 3.3. Also, the classes would be more competitive at Cornell. I just want to know how would med school take gpa into consideration when each applicant come from different colleges.

Members don't see this ad.

I THINK it is only logical for adcoms to take these into considerations

ninja edit: 2.3 = 3.3 doesn't make sense tho

Last edited:
Schools are not gonna let that fly. Plenty of people come out of Ivy League schools with much better GPA's than that. A 2.3 GPA is much MUCH worse than a 3.3 at a state school. It makes you look like you did really well in high school but then stopped caring when you got to college.

Obviously a 1.3 GPA from Cornell is like a 4.5 in a community college. I mean, like come on!

ADCOMS have their way of assessing how competitive your undergrad was, but it will in no way justify a 2.3 over a 3.3. And if you've ever attended a college of lower or higher ranking than yours, you'll understand why.

I'm still surprised by how many people think their Ivy GPA is automatically 2 points on top of any one else's GPA.