GPA Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbad

Reaction score
My situation is long and complex and I would like to explain it in full detail. I am a Junior at a state school, Biology major (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) I had a 3.5 GPA coming into this semester with the hope of getting a 4.0 enrolled in 16 credit hours. I ended up doing very poorly due to the load I took with regard to my classes, along with some family issues that I had to deal with all semester. I received the following grades in my courses with credit hours:
Physics II (A-) 4 Credits,
BIOL 600 Biochemistry (C) 3 Credits
BIOL 414 Ecology (D+) 3 Credits
BIOL 400 Microbiology (C) 3 Credits
BIOL 420 Seminar (A) 2 Credits
Tennis Class (A) 1 Credit
Semester GPA: 2.67
My cGPA will fall to a 3.31, and my science GPA will be a 3.11. I know I can do better next semester because some of the issues I was dealing with at home have also gotten better. I've calculated that my cGPA should be a 3.45 and sGPA a 3.3 by the end of next semester. I am also studying for the MCAT and would like to apply to medical school on time (preferably the University of Kansas School of Medicine). If I take a few science classes this summer I may be able to pull my cGPA to a 3.5, and my sGPA to a 3.35-3.4. Essentially what I am asking is if I should even try to apply to medical schools rather than take a gap year which is something I really would not want to do. Is a 3.5 GPA, and a 3.3ish science GPA feasible to get into medical school. Would admissions officers understand the issues I dealt with this semester if I told them my situation and the reason my GPA was terrible this semester? I do take full responsibility for my poor performance and know that I can do a lot better, this semester just felt as though I was digging myself into a hole that I was not able to get out of. What are some things I should do to reduce the effect of this disaster on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

My situation is long and complex and I would like to explain it in full detail. I am a Junior at a state school, Biology major (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) I had a 3.5 GPA coming into this semester with the hope of getting a 4.0 enrolled in 16 credit hours. I ended up doing very poorly due to the load I took with regard to my classes, along with some family issues that I had to deal with all semester. I received the following grades in my courses with credit hours:
Physics II (A-) 4 Credits,
BIOL 600 Biochemistry (C) 3 Credits
BIOL 414 Ecology (D+) 3 Credits
BIOL 400 Microbiology (C) 3 Credits
BIOL 420 Seminar (A) 2 Credits
Tennis Class (A) 1 Credit
Semester GPA: 2.67
My cGPA will fall to a 3.31, and my science GPA will be a 3.11. I know I can do better next semester because some of the issues I was dealing with at home have also gotten better. I've calculated that my cGPA should be a 3.45 and sGPA a 3.3 by the end of next semester. I am also studying for the MCAT and would like to apply to medical school on time (preferably the University of Kansas School of Medicine). If I take a few science classes this summer I may be able to pull my cGPA to a 3.5, and my sGPA to a 3.35-3.4. Essentially what I am asking is if I should even try to apply to medical schools rather than take a gap year which is something I really would not want to do. Is a 3.5 GPA, and a 3.3ish science GPA feasible to get into medical school. Would admissions officers understand the issues I dealt with this semester if I told them my situation and the reason my GPA was terrible this semester? I do take full responsibility for my poor performance and know that I can do a lot better, this semester just felt as though I was digging myself into a hole that I was not able to get out of. What are some things I should do to reduce the effect of this disaster on my application.
Another question, should I consider retaking BIOL 600 and BIOL 400 over the summer to earn better grades, or would it be smarter to take different 400+ Biology courses and earn A's in them?

what compels you to think you’ll receive a 4.0 next term/semester? Can you breakdown for us a grade trend year-by-year? Do not retake courses you got above a ‘C-‘ in.

edit: saw that you are a junior

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are your ECs?
Have you started to study for the MCAT?
You really only want to apply one time with the best application possible. You had a 3.5 going into last semester. That’s below average for accepted med students. And a 3.11 sGPA is low for DO schools, let alone MD schools. You probably should just plan on applying after you graduate. That will let you use all of your semesters in calculating your final GPAs. It will also let you take the MCAT next year after you work for a couple of semesters on your GPAs. There is no rush to apply.

what compels you to think you’ll receive a 4.0 next term/semester? Can you breakdown for us a grade trend year-by-year? Do not retake courses you got above a ‘C-‘ in.

edit: saw that you are a junior
I've had semesters that I've received 3.7-3.8's in. I feel as if I give my full efforts, I could get a 4.0 next semester.
Freshman year semester 1: 3.15
Freshman year semester 2: 3.7
Sophomore year semester 1: 3.5
Sophomore year semester 2: 3.8
I am sure that I will have to retake Ecology as I will not even receive credit because it is lower than a C-.

I've had semesters that I've received 3.7-3.8's in. I feel as if I give my full efforts, I could get a 4.0 next semester.
Freshman year semester 1: 3.15
Freshman year semester 2: 3.7
Sophomore year semester 1: 3.5
Sophomore year semester 2: 3.8
I am sure that I will have to retake Ecology as I will not even receive credit because it is lower than a C-.
Kill MCAT, prepare to take post-bac/SMP for GPA repair if needed.

Are there any other opinions on me retaking Biochem this summer, it would be online? I am still contemplating this just because it is a "prerequisite", I know retaking microbiology would be a waste of time and money, but does anyone think retaking biochem could make it seem like I "cleaned up" the mess I made last semester.